Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best warwick/how do i sound liek stuart zender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Impulsee, Oct 22, 2003.

1. For the longest time, i have wanted a warwick SUPER bad. I played one at guitar center a while back while in Min. and i fell in LOVE. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. i was thinking of getting a corvette proline 5. I played one and loved it, not to mention, its not THAT expensive. are they good??~?? or should i pay more and get a better one??~?/ whats the best warwick??~?? i know stuart zender (jamiroquai) used like..steamer stage 1 and 2's. I LOVE his sound on the cd "the return of the space cowboy". I MUST SOUND LIKE HIM. lol. so what about this warwick thread. tell me about it :)

- w00t

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Probably not much help, but Stuart Zender would probably sound like Stuart Zender if he played a Squier. You will probably sound like you if whether you played your bass or a Fodera.

Streamers are very nice basses, both series I and II-you couldn't do wrong with either probably, but they each carry a different sound.

3. anyone know what bass he uses on "return of the space cowboy"??~??

4. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    no doubt, thats the straight dope. of course, before you get down on yourself, consider the following:

Any bass player, while always sounding like themself, did not sound like they do now when they first started playing. basically, you'll sound like you no matter how hard you try, but the harder you try, the more you and others might like the sounds you make :) . moral of the story is... i guess just practice, you'll find a good sound if you really want to, just let your playing find itself. :cool:

peace-
    -Tom

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In fact I heard Nick Fyffe sound exactly like Stuart Zender, using a Yamaha TRB5P!! ;)

6. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    note: you should want to sound like yourself.

7. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I think he used a few different basses on return... fender 78 jazz streamer stage 1/2 an 8 string warwick (i think ) and possibly an alembic-trouble is I couldn't tell you on which bass he uses on each track!! (think he maybe uses the 8 string on kids). Oh and he uses flats for some stuff also...

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not if you're auditioning for Jamiroquai and want to get the job!! ;)

9. whats the sound diff between at warwick streamer I and II. i know theres noticable sound diffs. what are they??~??

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Stage I: maple body and neck, a more "traditional" sound (maple -> clarity, bite, "clear growl")

Stage II: afzelia body - more modern: smooth with more bass and lo-mid (I cant define the typical S II sound better)

11. id go with a streamer higher-end-ish than the corvettes

12. id go with a streamer higher-end-ish than the corvettes