Best way to “fill” a pup route

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by duckbutter, Sep 15, 2005.

1. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I have a jazz ash body with a j/mm pup config. I want to fill in the j route, and I was wondering if I could just use wood filler.
    The body is unfinished, so the filler will not bee seen once it’s painted.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I tried filling a rout in a bass with wood filler and it looked absolutely hideous with paint on it, no matter how much sanding I did. I will never ever ever do it again.
  3. That's a nice configuration, why lose the "j"?
  4. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    When I it was playable, I didn't really dial in the j. That, and I just wanted to know if it was possible.
  5. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    beat, thanks for the input.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think I would make a plug of wood and glue it in. That's way too big to fill with filler. It'll shrink and look it crap.
  7. Ahhh......I see. +1 on the wood plug and glue idea. Filler looks like poop no matter what you do.
  8. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    When I changed the pj configuration on my BB5000A to LP soaps I had to plug half the p pickup rout. I had a luthier do it (a darn good one, btw) and he warned me the lines would show no matter what because of expansion, under the nitro finish I was planning to use. He was right. The work was dead smooth, I could not feel any difference between the wooden plug and top wood prior to applying the nitrocellulose. Though not very noticeable, the line between the plug wood and the rest of the bass top showed under the finish. I don't think you'll have an invisible result unless the plug is under a topwood or pickguard.
  9. duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    thanks again guys...I was looking at the bass last night and will keep the j pup.