Best way to add casters to a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainpabst, Dec 2, 2001.

1. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    hey guys

i now own a 4x10. it's heavy, and it doesn't have casters. what would be the best way to add some? could i just use some wood screws and silicon thread lock? how likely is it that there would be an air leak, and how much would that matter?

i'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas. thanx.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    oh wow, this is the first i am hearing about this. I just screwed mine right in, i didn't even worry about if it was airtight. I have no problems though, and my cab has a real phat bottom end i think. I think your safe cuz yoiu have to tighten those bad boys pretty tight.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    If it's a ported cab, it won't make any difference whether there is any air loss or not. If it's a sealed cab, I'd wait and see what the more knowledgeable people have to say about that, cuz I sure don't know. I'd be a bit afraid to just screw into the bottom of my cab anyways.
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Cut a couple of pieces of plywood the same size as the bottom and laminate them to make them thick. Put the casters on the board (buy the largest diameter casters you can afford; 5" is way cool). When you need it, slide the cab on the board; when you don't take it off. REAL handy for moving 1x18 PA subs.
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Without trying to be an ass, this seems a bit silly to me. Screw some wood screws into your cab if you want to, it's not going to affect the sound of the cab. If you are that worried about "leakage," make sure the screws aren't long enough to penetrate all the way through the wood.
  6. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    just what i was thinking ....

get / make a dolly board ( aka ... a board with wheels on it ).

you can find them in a lot of music stores and hardware stores. i know carvin sells them too.
  7. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    yeah, i'm not THAT excited about screwing some holes in my cab, but this thing is simply too heavy (114lbs) to carry easily, so it's getting wheels one way or another.

i had thought about building a little cart for it. it'd be less convenient than if it had casters though.

does anyone own a cab that came with casters? how are they attached?
  8. The dolly board thing is a good idea, but do you really want to add even more weight to an already heavy cab? The way I would do it is to drill holes in the cab where you want the casters to go and run bolts clean through the cab using large washers on the inside to add strength. In my experience, casters which are simply screwed in using wood screws eventually pull out stripping the screw holes along with them. Running bolts all the way through eliminates the problem.
  9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I'm gonna design somethin' that'll latch on to the bottom of the cab somehow and be able to be removed when you're actually loading. The little 1 inch casters on the bottom of my 2x15 don't really do much. I think I'll also design a little cart for the 70+ pound 300T head:p:D
  10. Check out the thread "Lugging my SVT"
  11. my crate combo and my ampeg both have casters, they are the kind that are 2 peices the part that is accually screwed in the wood and that part holds the actual caster on my crate they are Ernie Ball casters on theampeg i got no idea i bought it used and one more thing for that type of caster you need to drill like a 3/4 inch hole in your cab for each oneor somthing like that you have to be very careful the caster accepter thing like like a inch and a half long going into you amp. so postioning is important