best way to blend big muff and clean

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tmu, May 4, 2005.

1. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Hi there, reading over threads it seems as if people like to blend this ehx pedal with clean signal to maintain lows etc. I could not find any consensus as to the best way of doing it. Does anyone have any advice, mod layouts, etc?
  2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Have Loooper build you a pedal with their "Blend" knob.

3. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Good idea, but shipping is very expensive to where I live, and I would like to try some DIY. Are there schematics and PCB layouts anywhere that show how to do this?
  4. I actually had a bass built with 2 1/4" outs on it for this very reason. I am going to run one of them dry through a preamp/di to the board and the other through an effects chain and then to the amp and then to the board. I am fortunate enough to have a personal PA system to practice on or take to a gig if necessary. It's probably not the most effecient way to accomplish this, but I wanted the signals to be identical from the source and completely independent the rest of the way.

Good luck!
  5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Here is mine.

I looked at moosapotamus' one, but wasn't convinced by the whole thing (low cut filter, gain on the output, lots of resistor I didn't understand why they were here). But mine uses the same technics. After refelxion, a loop with FET would be much better (less noise), but as the purpose of the muff is to do noise...

Mine will be built inside the Muff, and it as only a volume control for the dry loop. No gain (unity gain, in fact).

An easy way to do this is to use the Boss LS-2, and it's usefull for a lot of other applications.
  6. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    moosapotamus, I saw, yours. I had a little trouble figuring out the layout though. Do you have a pic of the PC board (I am just starting in on the DIY stuff...)?

7. You can check out the Boss LS-2 line selector pedal. It's like a pedal-sized 2 channel mixer. Relatively cheap and has the ability to power more pedals with a daisy chain.

(better than the passive blend that Loooper offers, in my opinion)
  8. Yeah, cool... ours are pretty much the same. I based mine on a design I found on a Japanese DIY site. :cool:

Gain on the output allows for boost & cut overall. The additional pull-down resistors are just there to quiet switch noises. I don't really use the LP filter on the clean side too much, but it does make for much fatness in the mix. And, that's what this really is... a little two channel mixer. Assuming proper grounding and good construction techniques, I doubt you'll hear any difference in noise between a FET buffer and a NE5532 opamp buffer. They'll both be plenty quiet.

Did you try getting rid of one of those opamps in the clean signal path? Seems like you could get away with that.

Or, since you're probably using a quad or two dual opamps so you've got four available anyway, you could configure them with a toggle switch for polarity reversal. I know the bigmuff is non-inverting overall. But, not all effects are created equal, some are non-inverting and others aren't. Could come in handy. :cool:

Yeah, sorry... I did that layout a while ago and wasn't too concerned about showing the locations for all the components very clearly. I'm working on a new layout. I'll be glad to post when I get it done.

~ Charlie
  9. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
  10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Yes, I started from the Japanese site you link on your page.

I really create what I needed. As the muff as allready a big output volume, I don't need any more output gain. With my LS-2, I never boosted my dry loop, so no gain here. this looper will be in the Muff box, it would not be a separate unit, so I could make some simplifications.

Some people allreayd recommand me NE5532, I think I should try it. I use the tl072 indicated (I'll try something else later, I think).

The 2 opamp are needed in the clean loop, because of the volume. I can't get rid of the first (would cut the muff) and without the second, it also cuts the final opamp.

But this is my first real work as an electronician, I'm learning all... So I think I have still a LOT to learn... :) But I love that (and that's my studies, that's quite a good thing I love what i'll do for my living... ! :hyper: )
  11. Evilash

Mar 12, 2004
    moosapotamus. I am also looking into building one of these. Any word on the new layout? The main part that is throwing me is the lowpass filter switch. Thanks alot.
  12. Evilash - If you're anxious to build one as is, I'd recommend just leaving the lowpass stuff out. I don't really use it much myself. Looking at that Japanese scheme, just connect R6 (2.2K) directly to U1 (TL072 pin 5).

I have a scheme and layout done for a two-sided loop blender that just replaces the lowpass stuff on the clean side with another effect loop. The balance control should allow blending of two effects (or, effect chains). And, it should still do clean blend if you either don't plug anything into one of the loops, or switch the effect(s) in one of the loops to bypass. I haven't had a chance to build it yet and verify that it works like I'm thinking it should. And, I hesitate to post anything that I'm not 100% confident will actually work. But, stay tuned, maybe in a couple weeks or so... :cool:

~ Charlie
  13. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    thanks! we look forward to that!
  14. thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    i use it to blend a big muff with clean and it works great :cool:
  15. godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    when I play with my Jazz bass, I use a simple DOD resistance mixer, and any pedal with "stereo out' to split the signal.

The resistance mixer is totaly passive, and has 4 inputs with adjustable level knobs, you can find them for about $25.

WIth my Rickenbacker bass, I use the ric-o-sound box and use both channels of my SVT head. The rear pick up has all the effects that cut bottom (rat, NYC big muff). and the bridge PUP just gets a small stone.

I like the set up on the Ric better but they each have there advantages.

If i want distortion and lowend with the Ric, i have to use both PUPS, which is ok because It really helps dial in that great Ric sound by optimising the amp EQ for each PUP. But I do get a volume loss soloing out either PUP.

The cheap DOD solution works well too, I use an otherwise useless DOD bass stereo flanger to split the signal, and again seperate the bass sucking pedals from the pedals that preserve the bottom.
  16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you want a really simple DIY version that should work with the big muff, go to follow the link to the B. Blender and then follow the link to the Buff'n Blend. I have not tried it, but it looks like it would work as a minimal blender.

The B. Blender is actually overkill in most cases, but a really really useful tool.
  17. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    what is this supposed to do???

it's a blender optimised for bass
    i'm thinking of having this kind of blender but to have only the bass going into the clean loop so all the frequencies above 180hz would be sent to the pedals (muff and wah)
  18. Derelict78

Mar 18, 2009
    Thank you these guys rule!