Best way to clean a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Should I just wipe my bass down with a dry washcloth after I'm done playing it..or should I buy some special cleaner and use that..or buy a polishing and string cleaning cloth and use those (are they just normal pieces of cloth that cost more because they have a special name?).
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I keep a small towel in my cases and wipe it down, especially the strings and other metal parts. I've found that the strings sound new for a longer time. I use a guitar polish every few months to keep it looking good.
  3. yak

Jul 30, 2002
    ..and for fretboard ??

I want to see Glossy my
    Rosewood fretboard ....

What have I use for this ?
    Lemon oil
    or ? ..............

my WEB :
  4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Use car products!
  5. steve_man

May 15, 2002

I still haven't done it.:(

I was told by one of the local guitar dealers that car wax messes up the finish. (leaves it gunky?)

I've found the wax I want to use: Mcguires Gold Cleaner (it's clear coat safe).
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Took me a second to realize what was going on... that IS shiny!
  7. Use a hose?

Take it along with you to a high pressure car wash and let rip?

Sorry, am I not being helpful? :D
  8. I usually keep two towels with my basses. One to wipe down the strings and one to wipe down the body after each use.

To clean them I've used car wax/polish on the body and lemon oil on the neck (tongue oil finish) and fretboard with good results. I've heard that the car polish can sometimes be too abrasive so recently I've switched to a polish and neck cleaner/conditioner that are more specific to musical instruments. I haven't noticed a real improvement but it may be better in the long run.
  9. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    leave the strings on when you boil them?????