1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to clean a keyboard?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm assuming a little but of soda spilled on to my keyboard because four of the keys are harder to press down and seem sticky. what is the best way to get underneath the keys to clean them?

i have an Apple iBook and i'm not sure if the keys just pop out.

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    isopropyl alcohol
    Try here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,112041-page,1/article.html

From the article: "We've divided our tips into two sections: Basic Cleaning and, for stuck or truly filthy boards, Intensive Care. Of course, if you need to start anew, replacement boards start at as little as $10."

3. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I'm still looking for where I saw this, but I read an article that said to put the bloody thing in the dishwasher. I found (and still find) that unbelievable, but the tech article was serious. Pry key's off first, etc.

Seems to me once you got the keys off you can try alcohol, warm water etc.

Wait - it's not a laptop is it? iBook! yes it is. Hmm, can you even get the keys off?

(I'd ignore the Dishwasher suggestion):D

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  5. Oxblood

Oxblood Inactive

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Or you could always do what I did... buy a completely new one! :D

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yeah. If you're going to buy a product to clean your keyboard, you might as well just buy a new one.

7. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    If it's a Notebook, perhaps you should get it cleaned at a Comp USA or something. I spilled tea on my HP notebook and it killed the machine. Apparently there was liquid that didn't dry yet and using the computer began a cascade of problems that ultimately made it useless. Thought I waited long enough but no.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Oh if it's a laptop, then buying a new keyboard won't work obviously. =/

Umm... dip it in high % isopropyl (sp?) alcohol? Then let it dry for a day...?*

*by reading this last sentence you agree to waive any right to sue me in case all hell breaks loose and you summon interdimensional computer nerds bent on taking over mankind. Or destroying your laptop.

9. Oxblood

Oxblood Inactive

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    LOL! :smug: