1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to combine a (2) mono (TS)/stereo signal into a single mono (TS)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Surprisingly I found little information about common practices for this scenario...

Stereo effects such as panned ping pong delays offer the opportunity to modulate the delayed signal down a separate path in the effects chain. I have no interest in running stereo amps (nearly all house sound is mono anyway). So what are people using to combine the two signal chains further down the line as I want both to combine before my preamp? (it would have to anyway cause it is a mono input on my preamp).

There are obviously products that work will (like an ABY box or Loopmaster splitter - reversed), but I was curious if there is a standard protocol or more common/appropriate tool people are using.

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Almost everyone will say the same as me. Boss LS-2 in A+B mode. You can then use the 2 knobs to mix as desired.

I do this for mixing the two signal paths from my attitude bass (dual outputs)

3. As ga_edwards says, Boss LS-2. Thread closed.

4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I already use one LS-2 at the beginning of my board, why not add another add another at the end... I just thought there may be something a bit more appropriate and hopefully smaller.... I'm thoroughly surprised at the lack of options to perform something seemingly simple.

I may just be slow to admit that I need to look into a larger Loopmaster system so I don't have LS-2s all over my board.

5. How are you using the LS2 you have?

6. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I use it to split/blend my band pedalboard - basic effects (muff, chorus, phaser, delay, OD...) with my electro board (synth, glitch, envelope filter, modulated delays, wah...) That part of my routing is awesome thus far, I get to blend my harsher synth tones with the thicker basics and the result is a really good balance of tonal craziness that is not annoying. I do the electro stuff solo so filling out the sound by myself is vital.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's a very small 2-1 mixer by sfx that you should check out, it's just called "Mix". Do not use an ABY or other passive combiner, use only active mixers. If you want, you could use a passive ABY to do the splitting to two channels, then use your Boss to mix them back together.

8. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    That's what I'm talking about! Yeah!

9. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Dang, Gina! That's a pricey little box ($200 shipped - that's almost 3 LS2s)... Does SFX have USA distribution? I could likely have it made locally or by Loopmaster for much less, but at least it gives me something to model it after...

10. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    While we're on topic, I just finished wiring up a simple passive ABY to combine my clean and effected signal. I've read all the stuff about active mixing and how it's superior, and I can't argue that. The problem is, I have zero space and no spare power outlet to run an active mixer. I've tested the passive mixer, and with my PWNZOR afterward, I can use the gain to boost what little volume I lose with the mixer. It's worked for me.

Are there any negative reasons to still ditch it? Here's a schematic, but just 2-channels.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364957450.208759.

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh, it CAN work---it's just finicky, you have to be combining two devices with buffered outputs and decent gain control.

12. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    My bass is active, my splitter (Boss OC-3) is active, and I have a pedal in my effects chain that is active. My comp and Digitech Jamman Stereo are after, smoothing and then actively controlling gain again. Maybe that's the key here?

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Right; basically an active mixer is two gain stages with their outputs wired together. So that's what you've got when connecting two always-active pedals with a passive Y. Even then there can occasionally be tone trouble, for example if one of the pedals has very high output impedance or a crappy-quality buffer... But generally it will still work.