Best way to correct volume increase?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alfonso_bundis, Oct 18, 2019.

1. alfonso_bundis

alfonso_bundis

Nov 13, 2011
    Hello everyone!
    Recently I have been exploring synth sounds combining the ehx pitchfork with the 3leaf audio GR2, I like the sounds I am getting, but when engaged the signal volumen increases too much, even with the gr2 gain trimpot at minimum. In fact the pitchfork on its own already in increases the volume significantly.
    What is the best way to avoid this volume increment? I was thinking maybe an attenuator, eq or compresor could be helpful but I am not sure. Any suggestions? Could this be addressed without any additional pedals?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Quick answer would be to put it in a variable loop, say with a Boss LS-2.
    More refined, needing research solution would be to use the effect loop of the pedal to insert a volume.

Nashrakh, alfonso_bundis and cardinal like this.
  3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I use a compressor almost at the end to attenuate the huge volume spike created by the whammy and wah... and my drives sound better that way too.

alfonso_bundis likes this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    I've used the LS2 for this also. It works great because it lets you switch in/out the FX(s) you want and simultaneously corrects the volume to where you want it.

In theory a limiter at the end would do the trick also. I've not experimented with that much yet, but like @crguti said, my fuzz and drive pedals seem to sound better with a limiter at the end, but I have no idea why.

Blu bro, Nashrakh and alfonso_bundis like this.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Also, people like Saturn Works can build a bypass loop for you that has a volume control on it. I have one from my days of using a OC-2, which had too little level.

alfonso_bundis likes this.
  6. alfonso_bundis

alfonso_bundis

Nov 13, 2011
    Thank you all for your suggestions!! I will try to burrow an ls2 and see if it works for me

7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    LS2 is a very useful pedal. I wanted one for a second board, but I instead went one step up and got an EHX Switchblade Deluxe (does the same thing but has 2 loops + a dedicated clean blend, and send/return jacks on top that are better spaced apart.) In my mind Saturnworks stuff is the next step up, but both the LS2 and the SB are solid pro pedals. I bet you'll find they add new options to existing pedals on any size board.

8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Limiters can be great for this. You can dial in the threshold so it only compresses/limits the signal past a certain volume. I picked up an Alesis Nanocomp awhile back for dirt cheap used and have been very impressed:

[​IMG]
    They sell for under 50$ used, it's full stereo + has a sidechain jack. Has a meter for the compression and one switchable from the input/output volumes.

It has a wide ratio as well as soft/hard and peak/RMS modes for more subtle or extreme compression. And the attack/decay are very useful, from longer comp to boost sustain to very short/subtle peak reduction.

It has been a game changer for me when it comes to stereo FX and recording into a mixer. No more loud modulation clipping into the mixer or getting too loud. Hard to understate how useful a decent compressor is.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022