Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best way to cut effects out of the chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, I have a bunch of EHX stuff, a 105Q, a Boss PH-3. This crap can be noisy. I run bass->effects->to SABDDI-->Compressor->Power Amp. Is there a pedal that has a switchable/mixable effects loop with true bypass?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I ordered one from a guy in UK and he never got back to me. Theres a guy in the US at http://www.pedalboard.com he also hangs around Ted Webers board sometimes

EDIT I have checked the link and heres the Weber board http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html

There are some guys on Harmonycentral effects board who make them but 'Tom' sems the most professional (hes got a website so he must be good)

Seriously buyer beware and I havent ordered one cos its so far away etc and I like to try before I buy.

Hope that helps

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    here are some people that make a loop box for fairly cheap. I just ordered one (will give review once I get it), but I have read from others that they are pretty good true bypass boxes.

true_bypass.tripod.com/

they also make a dual loop box and a A/B box

-KB

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use a Boss Line Selector pedal. Has lots of looping options.

5. The Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL has 16 loops and is the best way I can think of to switch between effects. It allows you to create custom patches and rearrange the order they're in… Very fun and useful for stage applications. They also make other models.

http://www.soundsculpture.com

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks all, I'll check out these options.

7. I have used a Boss PSM-5 for a long time as a loop selector on my pedal board to combat insertion loss and noise, plus it serves as a power supply for most of the units.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    are the boss units true bypass? I'd get the switchblade but I'm too broke.

9. nope... and you cannot mod them to be it either.

10. Told you it was the best, never said anything about it being cheap. Actually if you check http://www.guitargeek.com/ allot of artist use switching and bypass systems and you may get some ideas from some of the sets.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, thanks. I think I'm going to go with this one :
    Future Girl's True Bypass

Oh, and thanks for not asking "What's an effevt?"

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    please post a review BTW like the colour(!)

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will. I emailed them about the one with the LED (so I don't ASSuME) the effects are out of the loop and sound like a joker live.

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I will post a review of it when I get mine (ordered 2 days ago). They say it takes about 10 days. Maybe they have to build it first?? I sent them (Future Girl) a lot of email questions before ordering and they were real quick to respond. Their pedals also came recommended from someone at the dudepit.

-KB

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Did yo get the single or the double loop?

16. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I use a MIDI channel selection system similar to the switchblade. It's not as fancy feature wise it has fewer loops, and can't be programmed via computer, that's all I know about there may be other differences (I don't know the switchblade that well.) It's made by Digital Music Corp. and is 2 seperate pieces, the Guitar Audio Switcher and the Ground Control. Check it out at: http://www.voodoolab.com/gcsystem.html

I don't know if this will help you out, I just thought I'd share.

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I just got the single as that is all I need and plus the double will be too big for my pedalbaord. Plus the single was a lot cheaper :)
    I am using it for my few boss and DOD pedals. My EBS, Wah and Fulltone bassdrive will not be in the loop as I have not noticed any siginifant signal loss with them. I have a homemade 2 tier pedalboard with all of the Boss/DOD stuff on the upper level. They currently run through my effects loop, but to me they always sounded better in-line (they just tone suck too much). So now I am going to put them in the single loop chain in-line.

-KB

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks! I'm contemplating the double so I can just leave some of thee thing's on and switch them on and off all at once, but I may not really need that.

19. As my first duty as moderator I have changed the tittle of your thread to avoid future embarrassment for yourself.

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thank you kind sir.