1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to cut most of attack?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by negativefx, Oct 3, 2013.

1. negativefx

negativefx complete hack

Feb 18, 2013
    Fort Collins
    Hi all,

Looking for a way to remove most of the attack from a riff. Similar to the lead guitar sound at the one minute mark in this Clutch song (White's Ferry):

I'd prefer if the model didn't add distortion, but if necessary, it'll do. Do any of the compressors have the ability to strip the attack dramatically like this?

If it matters, I'd be looking to do a similar affect on a Bass VI and preferably with a pick.

Thanks!

2. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I would think a compressor with attack and release knobs would allow you to do that.

3. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Use your thumb:

Seriously. For years I've played with an incredibly hard attack (fingers) and I've learned to slow down, bend that hand around a bit and just use the thumb, just like The Sharp One above. Makes all the difference, and you can mute with the rest of your hand (or not) as you see fit too. Lots of interesting possibilities.

4. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I don't hear anything in that part that would require a pedal. It's more about learning to play legato cleanly.

Aside from that, some things that can help smooth out your tone for that type of part if playing pickstyle are favoring the neck pickup (if a two-pickup guitar or bass), rolling off the tone knob (or reducing treble generally), using a fatter pick, and using one of the pick's rounded ends instead of the point part.

5. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Have you tried muting the stings with foam or similar material at the bridge? That's a good starting point if you want to minimize attack.

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Play with your picking hand further away from the bridge, closer to (or over) the fretboard.

7. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I use a thumb pick to great effect when in your situation. It allows you to do pick or finger style alternately. Pick when needed then switch to fingers to soften it up. HE112.

8. negativefx

negativefx complete hack

Feb 18, 2013
    Fort Collins
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll try em out. Surprised no one mentioned a bow. :)

9. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    You could also try a felt pick - that's bound do cut down the sharp attack, and you could work with the Bass VI more easily.

10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Maybe something like a Boss Slow Gear pedal with the Attack control set just right?