1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to double my GK MB112ii wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaglorOnBass, Apr 11, 2018.

1. 112MBP powered cabinet (chained)

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. MB115II combo amp (from split signal)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    I purchased the 200 watt GK MB112II combo amp for band rehearsal and playing in church. It’s been perfect, and I haven’t even approached 12:00 gain.

We are planning bigger gigs now, and I’m considering my options for more headroom. I realize I can use the DI from the amp if there is a suitable PA, but I like the idea of being self sufficient. I’d like to add on to my existing amp, and have narrowed it down to two options:

1) Get the 112MBP powered cabinet to chain with my combo. This was my original intent when purchasing the MB112II. I like the simplicity of it. I like that they are stackable.

2) Split my signal and also run the MB115II. Not as slick, but more tone options, including the “boost” knob for GK “growl.”

Both choices get me another 200 watts.

Something else entirely?

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I'd go with the MBP. It's designed to go with your combo, will save you some money and probably will produce the best results the most easily. The tonal options you lose seems negligable.

I've never played a gig anywhere that I couldn't easily cover with a 2x12. Classic rock band with a horn section.

On the other hand, it's nice to have a 115 combo laying around, you should be able to cover most anything with that. But if you're planning on using them together most of the time I'd go with the 2x12 set up.

3. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    Just searched ebay and found the 112MBP preowned for $236, shipped. :jawdrop:

That made the decision easy...

Kro likes this.
  4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    You won't be sorry!! (I have the 112 MBP hooked up to the MB 112, and it's AWEsome!)

MaglorOnBass likes this.
  5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Maybe more knobs, but not really sure about more tone options, and not better ones - I'm a big fan of mixing things before a unified (usually single) power section (e.g. not a "dual-rig" type of setup).

My vote definitely goes to the slaved powered cab, which I see you already acted on! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do not think you'll be dissapointed.

MaglorOnBass likes this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Powered cab is the way to go. You can even add a 3rd one...or a 4th one....or as many as you desire!

7. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    I think 4 cabinets (including the combo amp) is the max with this GK system.

But I’m thinking the two boxes will be plenty to get me through my remaining years!

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Oh really? I didn't know there was a limit. I've only ran the combo with two powered cabs myself...just because. Talk about paint peeling loud...that'll do it!

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Son of a gun... there it is on the MBP manual, page 3:

"Up to three MBP enclosures can be linked together, allowing the user to create the ultimate 'Rig.'"

I was unaware of that limitation as well.