1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Way to Emulate a Double Bass Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by P-Bass Fanatic, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Hi there Talkbass I'm in a slight dilemma here. I'm in my high school's jazz band but there isn't a double bass there that I could begin to learn/practice with (don't know how to really play one), and its not something I can't really afford even a cheap one (money is rather tight at the moment) which gives me little choice other than to play my electic. Any help in helping me achieve the sound of a double bass would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm using a G&L SB-2 (P&J pick-ups) and a BP-80 pedal to get my sound. I normally just turn the bass way up on the EQ and turn down treble and mids. So far it got me slightly closer but Its definetly lacking still any suggestions?:help:

2. bassobsessed

bassobsessed

Dec 20, 2007
    NYC
    My way: pluck the strings way up over the fingerboard. Tilt your plucking hand so you catch the string with the length of your fingers, not just the tips. Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flat strings are also specifically created to help capture a DB sound on electric. I also add a hint of reverb.

Some find that a piece of foam tucked under the strings near the bridge gives a rapid decay that helps to sound a bit like an upright; others use right-hand palm muting to similar effect.

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Buy a Rob Allen Mouse? It's kinda like a big 4 stringed effect that you can play by itself.

4. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    what type of double bass sound do you want?
    not all double basses are bass eq orientated... my bass sounds quite mid heavy with one pick up, and then quite top heavy with another one.

If you really want the authentic sound then I suggest that you save up and buy one, although the electric bass and double bass play in the same register they are completely different instruments from different families.
    even a cheap double bass will still have a double bass sound.... (i have been proven wrong before).
    you can find 2nd hand student double basses for relatively cheap...

if this is still not an appealing option I reckon get your bass defretted, its not too expensive and if you're adventurous you could do it yourself.

5. Heh I was planning to defret my old P-Bass copy but decided against it because the way its set up lets me detune down to C with minimal fret buzz and rock being the music Im most focused in I'm not too keen on defretting my dear "Eliza" but sticking the foam under the bridge sounds like it may work rather well. Thanks for your guys' suggestions.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This topic has come up a number of times. Doing a search I found an old response that I gave which I've cut-and-pasted: