Best way to gain weight?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I am starting football in a couple months and I really need to put on some pounds because I really want to play linebacker.

I exercise a lot, and I think that I basically just can't take in enough calories to make any difference.

I weight train 5 days a week and run 4 times. And I drink about a gallon of water a day.

I eat as much as I can, which isn't a lot, but I haven't put on any weight in about 4 months.

Does anyone have any diets or weight lifting regimins that can help?
  2. Weight lift till you sore. In my freshman year (now a sophmore) I weighed 200, and I'm the same fat content now as before. I lifted for ....5 months every day except friday-sat. although I havent been there cause I quit cause I wanted a job. I gained.... 'bout 30 pounds. But I did grow like 2 inches.... So lift till your sore. I don't know the ratio but muscle weighs more then fat. Also you can stop drinking as much water also.

Anyone have ideas for em to loose weight. I got alot of muscle but I have about 50 pounds of fat I can loose to make me thin and beautiful ;)
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Don't buy any of that "whey" crap. it holds water. My brother is an insane body builder, and get this, his deit is mostly peanut butter, and tunafish. He found out a guy that did this, started doing it, and in less than a year he got pretty damn big. this of course, with doing lifting, and the like.
  4. Well, one diet that wil definitely help you put on weight is this one, which is called the Glasgow Marathon!

Every 2nd weekend, you have to take 26 pints (of lager or other suitable calorie rich beer) and 3 curries!

You'll see the pounds just rolling on! ;) :D

On a more serious note, I did train with a colleague who was in the resrve marines, he really pushed my. Pyramid training was a good way of building muscle (which is what I guess you wanna do!).

For every exercise, use a really heavy weight - about as heavy as you can manage. Do as many reps (likely 2 or 3) as you can. Then step the weight down, do some more - repeat until you have done a 10 rep set. Take a brief pause, then set the weight as high as you can again (this might be lighter than the staring point of your previous set). Aim to do 5 sets.

Diet wise, plenty of chicken breast, peanuts or peanutbutter, and tuna!

When myself and my friend were training, we were also taking some supplements - creatine, smilax officinalis (sp?), chelated zinc, arginine and ornithine.

Creatine helps with energy provision in your muscles. Smilax and zinc help naturally stimulate testosterone production in your body (we were both late 20s and your body produces less), arginine and ornithine facilitate your body metabolising fat.

Hope this helps!:)
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ditto on what jhonny said about the heavy weight lifting. if you want to pack on muscle, you have to use heavy weight. a great method i've started using is not pushing myself to the limit on the first couple of sets, and then really packing the weight on. my lats were stubborn as hell to grow, and i just started really seeing a difference doing this. not sure how much weight i use, but i'll do around 6 reps with relatively light weight, then up about 40 lbs and do another 6. by the 3rd set it's getting rough, but not till failure, and then I do 2 sets of all i can handle and push out about 3 or 4 reps. I finish by dropping the weight around 20 pounds and doing as many as I can to failure.

I also switch my routines constantly which is really helpful.

as fer the weight, when I was younger there was nothing I could do to gain weight. just wouldn't happen. I hit 30 and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! quite the opposite.

there are a lot of weight gaining powders out there that I know work, you probably oughta research them a little though as they throw all kinds of crap in those things these days, and anything that messes with yer hormones (testosterone especially) is IMO bad news.

creatine also definitely works, and I still haven't heard of anything that's been proven bad about it. it's important to drink lots of water if you're taking it though (it's important to drink lots of water regardless) and I like to take 3 months every three months or so just for safe keeping.

lastly, there are tons of really good books that are relatively inexpensive out there. there's lots to be learned. ya might wanna look through some of them and find one that addresses your particular needs.
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Dude... serious advice.

Get yourself put on this medication called Remeron. It's an antidepressant / insomnia medication that literally makes you eat nonstop.

Im about six feet tall and I went from 122 to 147lbs in less than a month. It was scary.

Oh yeah, and it's also kinda like having the munchies all the time. You'll no longer have to get really blazed to enjoy them. Everything you eat tastes like the most delicious food you've ever had, even if your stomach is full. I have several memories of eating when my stomach was so gorged I was in pain. I'd even awake from dreams of food in the middle of the night to go downstairs and make myself a midnight snack of 4 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Amazing drug IMO.
  7. Peanut butter and tuna, pure protein :)
  8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the advice. When I started weight lifting I was about 120 lbs and 5'9", about six months later I am 145 and 5'10", but my weight seems to have plateaued.

I do lift plenty of weight (I bench about 210), so I don't think that that is the problem.

What kind of peanut butter should I be eating? The sweet kind or the natural stuff, and chunky or creamy?