Best way to get an 8x10 up an down stairs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottlefight, Aug 6, 2003.

1. bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    I dont own one but if get on i am curious what you guys do. I deliver furniture for a living and i am still thinking of a safe way to move one.
  2. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    If you weren't such a girlie man you wouldn't have any trouble with it.
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Get 2 4x10 or 4 2x10s or 8 1x10s.

4. Slide it on it's back down the stairs. Make sure you don't let go though.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Down is easy. Just let go.

I'm still working on up. I'll get back to you.
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    beat me to it
  8. have your drummer do it....
  9. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Down is simple just slide it down on its back using the handles.

For getting it up, roll it up. Just turn it over going up the steps. Its alot easier for me to do that than carry or drag. I do it easily with my Goliath Sr.

10. Going down I highly recommend "The Slinky" technique.

Going up I recommend switching to flute.
  11. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Lay it on its back, speakers up against the bottom however many stairs, then turn around and lean up against it and walk up the stairs backwards while pushing it. Gets the job done for me.
  12. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky

#1-cut into small, manageable pieces.(always get an adult to help you when working with sharp objects)

#2-take up the pieces one at a time, or, if you have any friends around; each person may take a piece, resulting in only one, convienent trip. ( remember!! even with light objects, ALWAYS LIFT WITH YOUR KNEES!! )

#3-Reassemble with DUCK TAPE brand duct tape*.

*DUCK TAPE is a registered trademark of Proctor Gamble, Which is A registered Trademark of Disney, Which is A registered Trademark of ABC, Which is a Registered Trademark of Time Warner, Which is a registered Trademark of AOL, the ones who rule the world!
  13. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Never had to lift mine over more than a few steps onto a stage. . .

I'd think the best way would be for you to grab the top handle and get a band mate to pick up the bottom end, and take it up the stairs like a couch or something similar. Make sure that the other person is on the lower end, so that when you lose your grip, you will not be the one that is crushed when the cabinet starts its way back down the stairs. At any rate the Ampeg 810E is not that difficult for two people to lift and manuever, given its length. It's actually more difficult if you have someone help you on the stairs with a 4x10, because someone has to lean way over to hold their end.

If you have to do it alone, it seems like laying it on its back against the stairs and dragging it up would be best. They usually have some sort of skid rail that makes them slide easily.
  14. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    A few well placed charges of C-4 explosive should do the trick. May make your singer a little jumpy, though.
  15. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Point a couple of mesa powered 18's at it and play a low b. That should shoot the cab up the stairs nicely
  16. Put it in a good road case. When you want it down, flip it on it's face and let er go (yes I do that) To go up install a small electrical winch everywhere you go with steps and pull it with the handles. I think it would work-