Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Way to get attention for your music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hey guys..
    well I dont wanna sell my cd.. It has covor songs, so therfore I cant sell it. So im gonna give it away to mostly friends. Im gonna send a copy to Stupid Matt, and Prime Mover and my friends on AIM and Yahoo and whatnot..
    So im wondering, how do i get maybe a radio to play some of my songs?(the ones i wrote on the cd).
    I have 14 songs , I wrote 10 of them, the other 4 are covors. I did "Lets make the water turn black" by frank zappa. Masonic by Craigs Brother, Waiting for Coffee by Butterfly Joe, and Mr Coffee by Lagwagon. Man I love coffee..

The other songs are originals and instrumentals, all kinda music from surf rock, to punky sounding stuff to acoustic Jazz to acoustic rock. Its not really an "ALBUM ALBUM" its just something I had a hell of alot of fun recording. And it helped me alot musicly and emotionally. I have 2 new songs on mp3.com..
    Greedy (original) and Masonic..acoustic..

mp3s

Thats.. pretty alright I guess. I dont like to judge my own music though, so ill let yall decide that.

So how do i get my stuff out to people to listen to it?

EDIT: Matt, yeah I haven't been super busy with Oblivious, our lead singer is a prick though. =X
    Hes kinda, a bigger guy so our guitarist thought maybe a 72 foot moving van would be good for putting him in the back of, I said "nah.. he couldn't fit much less, could his ego by itself." Anyway dudde, hows everything. Pm and update me on your new celebretey status. In a couple weeks when im done with the cd ill send it to ya if you want man..

2. bass_is_for_me

bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    Omaha,NE
    There are many ways to get your music heard.

1. Put it on the internet (like you did)

2. Tell your friends (like you did)

3. Play gigs

4. do what most pop female "artist's" do today dress half naked. :D

3. Why stop there? I say go for the FULL MONTY.

If you want attention for you music, you're gonna need gigs! And what better way to bring people in for gigs than performing BUCK-STARK-RAVING NEKKID! (with your "instrument" positioned strategically over your "instrument) No one'll forget you anytime soon and you'll be a huge hit!

Better yet! Get arrested! insult someone's mom! Go on a website and annoy the piss out of everyone there; tell them the Foxy Granpas (URL) are better than any of them could hope to be. Your webpage traffic and download counter will SOAR!

Oh, and btw...you can thank me later. ;)

4. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yeah man
    I gotta cd cover..
    I produced it.. and burned it.. I think what im gonna do is.. next december im gonna take it serious and actually work on nothing but original music and produce in my guitar teachers studio..(128 track mixer, protools, 3 alesis 24track recorders, loads of ADAT blah blah) for 35 an hour.
    =D
    But um.. Heres my album covor.. for "NURSING HOME RIOT"

Ya know, it sounds like a "goofy" or "parodie" band ..but it isn't.. ALL THE SONGS ARE SERIOUS!

and im seriously idiotic!

remember.. im not the king of fools.. im the princess of doofi!

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Paint yourself up like a freak that looks like he's just risen from the grave and trash a hotel room. If all else fails, start boinkin' J.Lo. Better yet, start boinkin' Fred Durst.

;) :D

Good luck!

6. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
  7. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Foxy...that one is a lot better way to go

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I once did something with a band that turned out to be so sucsessful that i would do it agian in a heartbeat.

Find a place to throw parties

Get REALLY GOOD beer

charge enough of a cover that youll acctually cut a profit

Play party

put profit in band fund for a van and a PA

Do it for 6 months

Book you self some gigs wean yourself off of parties and get the party people to come to your gigs!

AJ

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OoOoOoOohhh free CD. You da man Nick.

Singer... being a prick... wow that's gotta be a first. ;)

About promotions, aside from word of mouth. Got any local colleges nearby? Odds are they'd play it on their radio station. Or any stations.

Also, it's a lot of work, but look into getting permission from the record labels to have a cover on a CD you want to sell. I don't know the exact process.

When I get my CD done... god knows how long that'll be... I'll send you a copy. Might be a few years, who knows. The reasoning is, I'm trying to make a CD of about 70 songs or so and have it be really weird noise stuff, but try to convey many emotions. Like most of the stuff I have so far is very angry some is silly and kinda happy... I dunno exactly what I'm doing yet, but I'll get it done. When you get it done, let me know. I'll PM you my mailing info.