Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best way to get fierce stingray tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fish man, Feb 3, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    (first post!!)
    So, i've decided that it's time for a new fish. My MIM P-Bass is fine, but after giving my buddy's a Stingray a good test run (through a 450W 8x10 ampeg stack nonetheless) i want that tone. the budget is tight, around <$750, and the s.u.b. is looking like the obvious choice, but as the pickings are slim at the music shops around here i haven't really been able to look around and see if there's anything else with the big hbs that could give me the same kind of tone. so, is there? Would opting for the passive s.u.b. over the active lose any of the roar?

FWIW i'll be running through the eden NC212 combo and i play fingerstyle, rarely picking or any funk techniques.

thanks

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Try getting the real thing, but used, on ebay. I snagged one for $650.00 a couple of years ago.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    There may be a couple of used Rays and Sterlings in the Classifieds. I just sold my SR4.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  5. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    i take it from the name that you're a mountain biker... have you been out this winter at all?

6. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Not saying its impossible, but it would be pretty hard to match the Stringray punch with another bass. You may come close with other basses with a bridge position humbucker and active EQ, but it wont be exact.