1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to get rid of a beat up large cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamzcl, Jan 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I had always wanted one of those Ampeg SVT-412HE cabs, partly because of the four 12's, but mostly cause they are pretty rare and I love the US made Classic Ampeg cabs.

So I had always been on the lookout for one and ran across one at Music Go Round about 2 years ago. The tolex was all beat up and the grill was snagged and curved in, but as long as it sounded good I didn't care what it looked like. It shows up and of course the tweeter was blown. Music Go Round reimburses me the cost of a tweeter.

Because of it's shape and weight (97 lbs, but feels much heavier) it's awkward to lift alone, and I like to be able to move my own gear. So I knew this wouldn't be my main gigging cab and would use it only occasionally. I've only gigged with it 3 times in 2 years and am now ready to pass it along as I don't like sitting on gear that doesn't get used.

Now that I'm ready to get rid of it I gave it a test run and there is an audible 'hiss'. The hiss could have been there the entire time as I used it only on outdoor gigs and may not have really noticed it. Anyway, I don't want to invest in tracking down the hiss and just want to get rid of it.

I'm torn how to sell it due to the fact that it's a pretty hard to find Ampeg cab BUT it's in pretty crappy physical condition and the hiss. A full disclosure of the issues along with pics would be provided. Would you sell it as a parts only thing, fixer-upper or something else? I've sold a lot of bass gear, just never something in this poor of cosmetic condition along with a performance issue and don't want it to just end up in a landfill.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    ghostinthemach and Lvjoebass like this.
  2. Tannerite

3. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    :laugh:

I know I'm not gonna get my money back out of it but I'd still like a little $$ since the speakers seem okay.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound

I HATE tweeters in bass cabinets, they seem to only make a difference when you're in the store evaluating the cab... IMHO they NEVER sound good on stage and only add bad treble frequencies that interfere with others on stage. I would unplug the tweeter.

Now, my opinion on tweeter may not be shared with fellow players, and that's okay!

You should be able to sell the cab if it sounds okay, someone who buys it could always repair or re-cover it.

GLWS

5. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    Sell it for a price that will encourage someone local to come grab it. Guitar Center might take it if you can’t get rid of it, but you may be losing a lot of money. With the way cabs are getting more compact, lighter, and louder, you probably need to move it sooner than later.

6. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I think the tweeter is turned all the way off and still get the hiss. Maybe it's the attenuator or crossover or something? Whatever it is I'm not fixing it because I can't invest anymore into it.

7. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    That's not a bad idea to run it over to GC. Even if they gave me $50 for it I'd have it out of my basement and would hope they could at least get it playable to where someone might want it.

Eric ER and Mr.Ace like this.
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I'd either consign it somewhere or craigslist it with full disclosure and set my price expectations accordingly. (When I consign a thing I disclose everything I can, on the agreement form, then it's on them to pass it all on to the customer - or deal with the returns if they don't.)
    The only thing I've ever taken to the dump was a powered speaker that had to get repaired like every other time I used it. I finally gave up on fixing it but even if it were still functional, I wouldn't feel comfortable receiving any money for something I trusted so little.

DrummerwStrings and jamzcl like this.
  9. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    yeah, it's most-likey the crossover and attenuator. When faced with these issues I would literally unplug the tweeter and try to remove any crossover. I find the drivers in my cabs have more than enough treble for me. I also find that speakers, rather than tweeters, deliver a more musical tone in the higher frequencies for the bass guitar.

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Craigs List
    Donate to a local school
    Skill saw the cabinets into pieces you can throw away and sell the drivers here

11. GC doesn't buy stuff & then work on it. They sell it in the same condition they buy it.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    JOOC, what do you think it's worth as-is?

Riis

13. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Suppose I could let them give it a go and make me an offer or not and walk away. I'd just be out lugging it up the stairs and lifting it into the Subaru :D

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  14. Hiss comes from the amplifier not the cabinet which only reproduces the signal that is sent to it.

While we are not allowed to answer “What’s it worth” questions for non supporting members remember that one person's garbage is another's gold.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    obimark, Lvjoebass, fdeck and 4 others like this.
  15. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Paid about $350 and put new wheels and the new 'free' tweeter in it. The speakers seem okay and it is a 'rare' Ampeg cab, so it would be nice to at least get 1/3 out of it just to get something back.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  16. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Sell it for what you would pay for it if you were looking for one. Be reasonable and it should sell.

17. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    The same head is used on all my other cabs and those don't produce a hiss.

18. My comment remains accurate. :)

rogypop, Lvjoebass, fdeck and 3 others like this.
  19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I think we're on the same page. Have you trial'd it with multiple amps?

Riis

20. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’d put it on CL for $100 and answer 1000 emails offering me $50 until I gave up and put it out at the curb.