1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to get rid of household junk?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Nov 20, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Ok, so my house is FILLED with junk stuff. Broken trash cans, car tires, several florescent lights, broken bed frames, you name it, we got it. This isn't the kind of junk that you could sell either. It's literally all broken or useless clutter that we just never found the time to get rid of. I know of services such as 1800GOTJUNK, but I figured I'd give it a go myself.

Does anyone know the most cost effective way to do this? I figured I'd rent a U-Haul, and take it to the city junkyard. But I'm not really sure if you're actually allowed to just dump stuff there. I'm wondering if anyone has done this themselves, as opposed to using a junk removal service. I don't really mind paying the $500 for the removal service if I have to, but I also don't mind hard work if it will save me a lot of money. I figure getting a trunk and dumping it myself will be a lot cheaper.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Rent a dumpster.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    +1

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    maybe this? => http://www.servicemagic.com/

You plug in your location, what you need, etc., and
    local bidnesses will email or call you back with an estimate.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Call city hall or the dump directly to find out about what the dump will take and how much it will cost.

I've rented a 20ft. stake bed truck, filled it and taken it to the city dump. IME, you need 2-4 extra guys to do it efficiently (loading/unloading), especially if you have a lot of stuff and need to make more than one trip.

If you have a lot of metal objects, there might be some local guys with trucks that will pick the stuff up for free and recycle it.

U-Haul trailers usually aren't very tall or long, IME you will have to make too many trips to the dump if you have that much stuff.

Once the metal stuff is gone, maybe you can call a junk removal service and get a quote to compare alternatives.

Note: when my mom passed away, I had to hire 2-3 guys to go through her 30 year collection of stuff. We filled about twelve 15 yard bins and it took about a week to go through all her stuff and pack what was left over.
    Have fun...:p

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Just take it to the tip.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Dumps will not take tires.

I'm mostly interested in seeing this stuff in your house. No pics, no clutter.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, this thread is worthless without pics. We need to see broken bedheads.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Torch the house, collect the insurance and start over.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Right....show me a real Florida redneck junk-house.

But yeah..I'd say just rent a truck and take it to the dump and then google "tire disposal" for your area.

bc

11. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    freecycle?

Stuff you wouldn't dare sell, maybe someone wants. Just list what you got, and you'd be amazed that someone will come and get it. Car tyres? Lights? Someone will just come and take them away! We had a broken video recorder - 10 people wanted it (depite knowing full well it was trash).

I know someone who had a patio area they didn't like. Someone came with a van, lifted the paving slabs, and took them away. Would have cost a fortune to get it removed.

OK - you're stuck with the REAL rubbish, but you'd be amazed what goes.

12. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I usually just stack it up on the curb in front of my building. Within hours it's all gone.

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Whenever possible have a yardsale. Take the proceeds to rent a dumpster to get rid of the rest of the crap.

You can probably recycle some of the metal stuff and make a few bucks to get rid of the rest.

In my area you can get a pretty big dumpster for a week for $400 or so which includes removal. Call around and get some prices. Doing it yourself is alomost always cheaper and no need to worry about dumping illegally if you go the rented dumpster route.

14. Gumby4

Gumby4

Dec 18, 2007
    New Jersey
    I thought this was only an option in New Jersey...... :smug:;)

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Get off yer keister and start being proactive and get rid of stuff. It's really that simple. Where there's a will, there's a way. You just have to have the will.

16. Did you check with your city/town refuse department?
    In my town they will pick up most of the things you listed. I just have to call and they will let me know when to put it on the sidewalk.

If you know someone at an automotive shop they can probably get rid of the tires for you. If not check out a tire retailer in your area. They will probably want to charge you a few bucks per tire.

If not, I would rent a truck and make a trip your local dump site. Just call city hall first to find out the details.

17. My last trip to the scrap yard got me $173.00. Of course having my own trailer helps, but I am sure you know someone who has a pickemup truck. It's not a ton of money but +$173 beats -$500 any day.

Separate different metals. Clean steel and iron goes for more than stuff with different stuff attached to it. Taking the couple of minutes to remove the plastic off of my old brass car radiator gained a couple of bucks. Saving your aluminum cans may not be worth it normally but if you're going anyway then smash 'em and cash 'em. The yard where I go takes car batteries, and electric motors go for a premium.

Going to the scrap yard is fun and manly too:ninja:

18. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I just bought a place which had a lot of junk laying around. I gutted the house and rebuilt it therefore having more junk. I just rented a dumpster and borrowed a front loader. Mr. Clean ain't got crap on me :)

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Depending on the amount of crap, haul it to the city dump or rent a dumpster. The latter is easier on the body, but harder on the wallet.

20. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Just throw it all over the fence into the neighbors yard and let them deal with it.
    Problem Solved!