1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Way to Grow a Mind

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    I don't really want to get too much into simulation theory here, because I could go forever there. But say you are raising a puppy, is it the same theory as raising a human brain? I'm definitely getting a puppy and just had 3 days with a 4 week old half Pitt half German Shepherd that changed a lot of thing I thought about psychology. Just curious.

2. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Give it a month. Your puppy will have you trained just fine.... And stock up on paper towels.

Gaolee and bolophonic like this.
  3. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    You might like to bone up on your dogmanship skills :)
    Stay tuned for part 2 - Catalyst: Making Dogs Happy Part 2 - ABC TV Science

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    A puppy will turn your life & house upside down for about a year.
    Have fun,lol.

5. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Absolutely read the books by the Monks of New Skete. Indispensable.

6. bearfoot

bearfoot Suspended

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I don't think it's the same as a human brain. Dogs have dog psychology. And quite a genetic variance in intellectual capacity. There's a lot of good reading out there on the subject, on the interweb and elsewhere. I *almost* adopted a dog some years ago, but decided I couldn't afford to care for one at the time.

murphy likes this.
  7. Dogs aren't humans and they don't think like humans.

But everybody thinks they do. So that is why you have so many 'problem' dogs.

murphy and Bassamatic like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    positive reinforcement, never punishment with dogs.

murphy likes this.
  9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Yes! Dogs do NOT think like humans! I have a dog training business and my "Dog 101" course is very popular as I teach new and old dog owners to "talk dog" and understand what a dog wants and needs. Watch as much of Cesar Millan as you can - you will get some insight into the difference between humans and canines. A few major items.
    • Dogs don't speak English! Use a few simple commands, consistently. They don't "Know what you mean" they are reacting to the tone of your voice and body language. EVERY ONE in the household must address and treat the dog the same way, or it is very confusing to them and counter productive.
    • WALK YOUR DOG! Dogs do 5 miles a day in nature. Keeping them in, no matter how big your yard is, is cruel and will cause many problems. Get them out to learn the neighborhood and to meet as many people and other dogs as possible. When you walk them you TELL them where you will allow them to sniff and pee. They cannot go wherever they want, You are the leader, not them. I allow them 2 places per block for a minute or 2. The walk is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing that you can do - this is where the dog learns to be with and react to their pack leader, and where the bonding really happens.
    • Be the PACK LEADER - Calm and assertive. "Nice" means weak in dog language. If you are nice and sweet and let your dog do whatever they want - your dog will not have confidence that you can protect them if you are too nice and wishy-washy. Dogs follow strong leaders, not nice leaders. This is especially true for rescue dogs that have had an uncertain life. I don't mean for you to be cruel, just be a LEADER.
    • Discipline is not punishment. The dog WANTS to know what you want and don't want. Cesar will show you how to properly discipline a dog, and it is not with a newspaper or squirt gun or any of that BS. Also - you can ONLY discipline a dog if you catch them in the act of doing something you don't want or like. 10 seconds later, and it is too late. They do NOT know what you are talking about just that you are angry. You just suck it up and wait until next time. Also - I firmly believe that you cannot train a dog using ONLY positive reinforcement. While positive is very effective and great for the dog, you have to say no sometimes.
    • There is only ONE WAY to house break a puppy - you have to keep them in a crate and take them out every 2 hours and wait for the them to do their business and then praise and reward them, and put them back in the crate. Most dogs actually like the crate - it is a secure place for them. As an alternative to crating, you can keep them next to you on a leash - They will not go if they are next to you. You DO NOT rub their nose in it! This is incredibly mean and your dog can learn to hate you as they don't know why you are treating them that way.
    And so on and so on - there are many things for the dog owner to learn in order to have the most positive experience with their dog. It is a HUGE responsibility. Please don't get a dog unless you are willing a capable to spend the time and effort. Dogs are not a possession - they are living, thinking emotional creatures that are far more feeling and intelligent that many people can understand.

Please don't pick the dog for it's appearance. Check the many online sites including the AKC to help choose the breed that best matches your lifestyle. Not doing so leads to HUGE problems for all concerned.

One more thing - please don't feed your dog anything you can buy in a supermarket. OMG - that stuff is total junk food. do some research and get your pet good food. The Costco Kirkland food that is made by Diamond is actually quite good.

bearfoot, knumbskull and murphy like this.
  10. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Be kind to them.
    Don't tolerate deviant behavior - be quick to admonish forcefully.
    Be available to them.
    Keep them clean.
    Don't over feed them.

If you're lucky you will have 9 - 12 years of unqualified affection. Make the most of it.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Excellent post. I do think dogs understand a limited number of words, but you are correct that they are tuned in to body language and situations. For example, my current two long haired dachshunds will be snoozing on the couch at night. As soon as I turn off the TV, they run for their crates.
    You point about being the leader is dead on. My wife is the always sweet and nice one. She can't understand why they will not obey her. I keep telling her she is not being alpha, but she doesn't get it. When she tries to get them do do something, her voice sounds like she is begging them, not commanding them.
    I never hit a dog. I use voice and eye contact. That is all it takes. Dogs want to be good and do what you want. You just have make it clear what behavior is acceptable and what is not.

murphy likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That is the primary reason pit bulls became known as violent. They are a breed that tries very hard to get attention from their owners. Praise when they ARE violent - add in the fact that they are very strong and athletic dogs, and what do you think you will get?

This is coming from an owner of a pittie that was probably the sweetest and most docile dog in the world. We took her as a street dog one day from being put down, and it slept in my son's bed every night.

murphy likes this.
  13. Funky Ghost

Dude, I want a long hair dachshund SO bad. Anything of note about owning one?

14. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    From what I have read, they have a tendency to be nippy. Any long dog with short legs is not exactly the kind of dog that you want for long walks.

I would look on line to see if there are any dachshund rescue groups near you. My last three bulldogs have been rescues.

- usually cheaper than buying a purebred pup from a breeder (and you never want to buy from a puppy mill or pet store).
    - you often get an adult rather than a pup. Among other things, often less training to do (although every case is different).
    - you know you are saving a dog, and are sure you are not supporting a puppy mill.

Just a thought. I'll never buy a pup from a breeder again - there are so many dogs out there that need a good home.

Also, check at local shelters. You never know what you might find.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  15. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    They take a lot of grooming. The hair grows pretty fast and they need a trim every couple of weeks.
    They are very sweet laid back dogs, not at all hyper like the standards. We've had standards for 30 years and got our first longhair almost 3 years ago. Now we have two.
    The Girls in the Chair.jpg
    Bella on the left and Faye on the right.

Where are you located? I may be able to recommend an excellent breeder. Both of these girls are in a line that has been shown at Westminster the last two years. Faye's dad is the top winning longhair in the U.S.
    The breeder would not show either of them. Bella has trick knees. It isn't a disqualifier, but the breeder will not show or breed any flaws. Faye was going to be shown, but broke her tail about 6" from the end and it tilts up at the end.
    The breeder is in Southern Louisiana.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  16. Funky Ghost

I live in Sacramento Ca. I have been wanting a long hair for awhile now. I've always had big dogs, when I had dogs, or working dogs. Since I've been with my gal we've only had her cat, who is ancient by any pet standard ( 27 this year ). At her advanced age I am going to wait to bring in another family member. She deserves our full attention at this stage of her life. After, though, I want my lil guy/guys.

17. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Great advice here. Thanks. I don't have the desire or money for a pure bred dog. I'm wondering if there are any tips to make sure I get the type I want on Craigslist or elsewhere. I guess maybe you could ask to see the mother and father? Any tips on how to make sure you are getting what is advertised?

I'm thinking some kind of hound mutt mix. Dedinitely a female. And like 50% basset hound and something else? What would combine well? I don't want it to grow up to be more than like 40, 45lbs tops. Less is fine, but it needs to be able to use the doggie door, plus I have a bad back and don't wanna throw my back out if a big strong dog tugs on the leash.

18. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If you don't buy from an AKC pure bred breeder, go to a shelter and find one. There are thousands needing homes. The puppy mill breeders usually don't treat their dogs very well and wear the females out breeding them every cycle. It would be great if there were no more of them.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  19. Funky Ghost

One of my personal favorite breeds I've owned was an Australian Shepard. She was wicked smart, outstanding personality and a great medium sized friend. That breed would flourish in the Santa Cruz area ( I took her there to walk the trails for years ) They also get along with kids and other pets quite well. The smaller females come in at around your weight limit but I'm not sure they would fit through a doggie door ( but it wouldn't keep 'em from trying! )

I know they have a miniature breed of the species but I'm not conversant with them. They look killer though :D

Miniature Australian Shepherd Dog Breed Information and Pictures

My sister has one of these and she is an amazing friend as well.

Shiba Inu Dog Breed Information

TOOL460002 likes this.
  20. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Those are good looking dogs. I'll look into that mini version. But I'm open to anything that isn't too big and not as hyper as, say, a terrier if that makes sense. I've never seen a hound/corgie mix, but a corgie can be a handful. So I'm open to opinions. I've gotta get my place fences in and do landscaping so I have until maybe April or may to make up my mind.

And ya, I was thinking a shelter would be better than Craigslist. It'd cost more but it's probably worth it knowing they haven't been abused. At least I hope. My buddy has gotten lucky on Craigslist but I like the kennel idea. Loving the advice here. Bass players know everything!