Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best way to heal up sore fingers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 20one, Jun 1, 2003.

1. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    been playing a freakin ton lately, more than usual, have many gigs coming up and my fingers feel like someone is running a knife thru them every time I touch a string... suggestions?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Which hand? I've been going through this on DB, and might have some tips to offer if it sounds like your situation is similar in any way. Details?

3. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    index and middle finger on my right hand... sore from a ton of popping

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Vitamin C and zinc tablets speed up the healing process of everything. Keep off the fingers to prevent the cells from being irritated and dying off again, thus making the healing process longer. Put hand in luke warm water tub to stimulate blood flow. Exercise your hand, clench into light-strength fist; general movement will speed up healing as well.

5. i always just play thorugh the pain

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    ice, rest and extra Vitamin C works for me

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am going through the same thing with my fretting hand (right also since I play lefty) I played for about eight hours last weekend and my fingers are still hurting. I ice them regularly, but I still cant make a fist when I first wake up. :(

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Ice for the first 24 hours to reduce swelling. Then heat to help the vasculature reduce the inflammation.

Mike

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Worst possible thing to EVER do.:eek:

DO NOT PLAY THROUGH PAIN! if you are practicing and your muscles begin to get sore, TAKE A BREAK! if you do not, you will risk serious muscle and tissue damage that can be irreversable.

:eek:

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    True in theory, nerve damage is a remote possibility, maybe tissue necrosis if you play for days without stopping. The more you play with pain, the longer it takes to recover.

Mike