1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to hook up Ashly PQX 571 EQ to my Monique?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morrisonhendrix, Feb 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Let's get this out of the way first. I'm an idiot when it comes to hooking things up.

Now that we have that out of the way, I have an Ashly PQX 571 that I want to hook up to my rig. Typically, the set up is like this:

Bass>pedal board>Monique Amp (line out to Korg DTR2)>EA cabs

I'd possibly like to get my Line 6 X2 XDR wireless (rackmount) in the chain at some point, but haven't decided. If anyone would like to posit two scenarios (one with and without the Line 6), that'd be much appreciated.

2. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Really, no one?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Honestly, you've got two options. Put the EQ before the input of the Monique or put it after. I'd try both and see which works for you. I don't know what kind of headroom the EQ has, but if you find it distorting, you'll know that's not the place for it. As for your wireless, unless you want to be wired to your pedal board, it goes after board, before Monique's input.

4. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Thank you. I was debating putting it before or after. I want to try it after Monique first I think. I'm really needing input/output/balanced/unbalanced cabling advice more than anything.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Your signal chain in the OP reads "Monique Amp." Did you mean Monique--> Amp? If so, what amp?

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    IIRC the out on the Mo is unbalanced anyway, I'd use a 1/4" to XLR into your EQ if that's your option. That's what I use from Monique to my power amp (then use a bit of the power amp DSP for filtering & a little EQ).

7. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    No, it's not the Monique Preamp and then a power amp. It's the Monique 700 Rackmount Amp. Sorry for any confusion.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I still say you try it both ways and see what works best for you.

Passinwind likes this.
  9. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    OK, so are the line out and power amp inputs balanced or unbalanced? The Ashly has tons of headroom (I worked with several for many years), so for starters I'd probably run it as late in the signal chain as possible, only using balanced cables if both the ins and out on the Monique are balanced. Couldn't find that information readily on Jule's website.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    The Line out on the 'standard' Mo is unbalanced.

11. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I'm not sure. It looks like Crazy Baldhead said that it is unbalanced.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    It is. It is. It's come up for me in the past.

13. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I'm still wondering about the power amp in. Doesn't matter all that much for such a short cable run anyway though, really.

14. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I'm take some pics later this evening when I get home

15. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Just ask Jule. [​IMG]

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I have him on speed dial these days. ;)

Or we can just say @Jule Potter @juledude a couple times and he usually appears.

17. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Actually, I was going to take a pic of the rear of the amp, eq, tuner, etc... so that everyone could see the inputs/outputs on all of it.

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    You won't be able to tell from just looking at the back whether it's balanced or unbalanced. They're both 1/4" connections and they could be either TRS or TS. Besides, there's already pictures of the rear panel up.

[​IMG]

19. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I know, but in anticipation of discussing how to cable everything, I thought it'd be a good idea.

20. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    OK, I made another faux pas by not saying that I had a De-Monique.

Anyway, see the attached pics. There's the De-Monique with the tuner above, and a separate pic of the EQ. 20160301_190736. 20160301_190742.