1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to increase punch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bilson, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bilson

bilson

Oct 3, 2007
    Ok, as of right now my rig consists of a Peavey tour 700 head (with power sections bypassed), QSC 2450, Basson 8x10 cab, and Ibanez SRX2EX1 4-String. Once I switched from a Peavey tour 4x10 cab + Fender bassman 15 cab to the 8x10 configuration I lost a lot of punch.

Now, I'm looking to increase that punch as much as possible.

Any advice?

2. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    I am not too knowledgeable in this, however I would say mess with the EQ.
    Thats how I get a punchier sound on my amp.

3. I'd say boost your mids on your EQ, and if you have an active preamp then adjust the bass and mids. Also a nice set of stainless steel strings might help. I use Sadowsky SS strings and I get plenty of punch with those.

4. bilson

bilson

Oct 3, 2007
    The thing is I play in a metal so I want to be precise and punchy as possible. I'll have to try some stainless steels.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Use your hips to drive your fist, and put your bodyweight into it...
    :D

6. Mid mid mid mid mid mid mid. Watch those stainless strings though, some are very very bright especially if you play with a pick.

Just try adding to the low mids though especially, it'll make up for the lack of 15 too cos that's what they generally seem to emphasise the most.

By the way, get your profile updated with your equipment on, it'll help us help you.

7. Now also stainless steel strings are also much brighter than nickels so you may want to roll back on the treble. One more thing that might help is to favor the neck pickup. That's where a lot of the punch comes from too. Notice how P basses sound and look where the pickups are placed.

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    All good advice so far...

The right compressor (*and* with the right settings on said compressor) can really add to that 'thump in the chest' feel.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    +1 I've had good luck with the BBE Opto Stomp. Check Bongomania's signature to find his awesome reviews of compressors.

11. 8x10? crank up the mids. There is a lot punch in there.

12. LOW MIDS - give a little boost between 100 and 400hz somewhere, depending on what sounds best to you... and maybe roll back on the bass knob a tiny bit as that can help tighten up the punch you are adding in the low mids

13. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    Low mids. BUT be careful around 300-450 since things get really muddy really fast around there.

Punch can be a real balancing act (like all eqing) too much will be detrimental to your tone!

Note that most of the time sound engineers try cutting rather than boosting, it is less obvious to the ear, and can give the same effect.

So if you cant get boosting low mids to work for yo, try cutting lows, and high mids and even highs, then upping your preamp gain.

Although the EQ may actually cut and boost the same (in terms of eq graph, Q etc) you ear does perceive cut as different from boost.

Its well worth bothering to experiment with this.

In terms of compression settings for punch you want a slowish attack (you dont want to kill the transient peak), fast release, maybe as much 6:1 ratio (more if you like a lot of squish) and a threshold as low as necessary (ie the lower the threshold the sooner it starts to take effect), with a matching make up gain.

Thats a good starter....

14. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Basson cabs IMO seem more attuned to 5-string players. You can try a compressor b/t the peavey and the qsc., also turn 30hz down on an EQ if you have it.

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    low mids - punch
    high mids - growl

16. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

51, nailed it. I usually set the ratio a bit lower (4:1 or so) but his explanation of compressor settings is dead on.

17. What does ratio do on a compressor anyway? I remember all the other controls but always forget what that means...

18. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    For every db over threshold, the compressor reduces the output gain according to the ratio. So for example, if the input exceeds the threshold by 4db, and the ratio is set at 4:1, the output is reduced by 1db.

19. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Get a GK head, that 'll get your 810 punchin'

20. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    How about cutting the 30-60 hz signal!!!!