Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Way to keep Bright sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by teprodic, Dec 29, 2003.

1. What's the best way to keep your strings sounding as if they were new fresh off the box? I use Lo RIders but after a couple of weeks the new sound left and now they sound normal and I don't really like that sound.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    keep your hands clean, wipe the strings with a clean dry rag after use and wiping with little rubbing alcohol on a rag will bring some snap back.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Well, a lot of string brands lose their initial punch after a few weeks. I've never used Lo Riders, and I'm not sure if they have a reputation for lasting a particularly long or short amount of time between replacements. I do know that the Fodera Diamonds that I use maintain their brightness much, much longer than any other brand I've tried. Then again, all the brands I've tried have cost less than $40 for a pack of four strings.

Do your hands sweat a lot when you play? Sweat kills brightness, so if you do tend to sweat on your strings, take breaks to clean your hands. Also, if you play very frequently and/or aggressively, your strings will deaden faster, and the only solution may be to just change strings more often.