Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best way to learn double thumbing?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What are some good ways to go about learning how to do the double thumbing technique?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    um practice double thumping?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea but im not very aware on the specifics of the technique..

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    first many topics have been started on it.

Use the thumb slap like you would a pick.

Slap through the string followed by another slap coming back towards your starting position.

with practice you to could be a wooten wannabe :D

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Allright guess this thread isnt going to help me much then. Basicaly i know the BASICS of it, such as you just explained, i was just wondering if there was anything else to it, guess not.yea...

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    practice everything you would normally slap, with double thumb. Or take it a step further and practice everything you'd normally practice with double thumb.

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
  8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Papersen.

Just a question, do you think it would be easier to learn double thumbing on a 4 or 5 string? Probably a 4 because of the spacing correct? Or would the B string be a good place to learn it on as well...?

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If you get good at it on a tight spaced 5, then a wide four will be easier

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you learn to do it on a bass with tighter string spacing, it will force you into having a tight and precise technique, and as such you will benefit more from a wide spaced 4 string.

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree with WR.
    String spacing is the main issue.
    Should be easier to develop the technique on a 5 with wide string spacing (19mm or even 17.5mm) than in a 4 with tighter space.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well my 4 has 19mm spacing and my 5 has.... not sure, probably 17-17.5mm.

13. learn classical thump that was the best practice for me.

14. My only advice on double thumping is make sure it still has 'feel' - I was showing a friend the main lick from 'Me And My Bass Guitar' and that is a weird one because it combines all of VW's techniques - hammering, double plucks plus the all important groove - it's getting the double thumping in to context that really helps - running solos and the like is hard but you've also got create a mental image of what you want to play - just keep working all aspects of it - and learn Classical Thump as it will give you all the technique you need.

Last tip is that I play a thru-neck Warwick Thumb and what helps my technique loads is the little curved ramp under the strings at the end of the neck - this helps my thumb recover quicker on the up stroke as it gets a little kick-off from the body.

Sorry for the ramble...it's my first post here is all.

Peace out

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uhm, this is related. I've decided to give this a shot, for poops and giggles. To get the technical aspect working, I've been using my thumb as a pick to play 16th note punky stuff, is this a good idea to get the muscles doing what they should?

When I do the Open Hammer Upstroke Pluck thing, the Upstroke gets a bit "buried" sounding? Do I suck?

16. Goldsac

Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill
    Thats actually exactly what I did. I play stuff with its fair share of 16ths, so I decided: screw the pick, cause I want to do other things without being bothered w/ switching back and forth. Now I can get a sound that satisfies the sound of an actual pick (I know I know...it won't sound exactly like a pick...but close enough). The one thing I'll tell you about the double thump is to have faith. Of all the techniques I've practiced, this one took the longest to get the feel for (its all the damn upstroke! :mad:). Work on getting you wrist used to rotating the opposite way...its almost like learning relearning slap, reverse-style. :cool: