Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Way To Learn??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Warlord786, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Warlord786

Warlord786

Nov 22, 2003
    I just got my bass and ive been playing tabs from the internet on certain songs. Is this the best way to go about learning? I have no clue. I cant get a teacher though, so thats out of the question. Thanks in advance

2. Well, the best way to learn is to get a teacher.....

Do what you're doing but also make sure to keep progressing with harder stuff. listen to as many different kinds of music that you can. Playing with other people is always good. Learn to read music(not just tabs, i mean actual notation). and of course, always do a SEARCH!

3. ~Psychedelic~

~Psychedelic~

Nov 23, 2003
    California
    Your better off learning on your own....If you get a teacher he won't teach you how to really play....The only thing he's gonna teach is what the guitars made of and where the knobs come from etc.etc...
    All my friends that had lessons didn't learn ****.

4. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Do NOT learn by tabs. I did this and I REALLY regret it.

Definately learn stuff by ear, as well as theory (really important if you want to be a good player) and having a teacher early on will really help this go along quick. Also, playing with friends and jamming with better musicians will also help you get better and learn. Learn from everything....just keep in mind that tabs are evil. All they show you is where to play them, not what tempo, rhythm, key sig, time sig, etc. etc. If you're going to use tabs, use power tabs...only when you really can't figure out a song by ear.

My 0.02 cents.

Cheers

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's not because they had a teacher, but because they had a bad teacher.

A good teacher can make you do quantum leaps.

6. AoD

AoD

Nov 20, 2003
    lebanon, beruit

man hi what do you meen by power tabs

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Quite possibly the worst advice ever given on TalkBass :eek:

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I'm going to have to disagree. Not all teachers are like that. I owe a lot to my teachers and have learned so much. You have to determine what makes a good teacher and what makes a bad teacher. A good teacher can clear up bad habits, provide inspiration, give you direction and help you with your goals..so much more.

Anyway, I agree with Darren about tabs. They may in fact slow you down in the long run. For ex: What if, say, you learned a certain song off tabs You learned where to put your fingers and you can play along perfectly with the CD. However, now you are in a band situation and the band is playing that particular song...but...the singer wants it in a different key! Now what do you do?

Learning theory, developing your ear, and learning how to read music can take you much further.

It might be wise to start yourself on a practice routine (lots of threads on the forum, do a search). Let the routine revolve around your goals and things that are giving you trouble.

Some ppl think that learning theory, taking lessons, and all that stuff is a hindrance to creativity but I don't think that is so. Let it guide you. And let there be a balance.

Good luck. :)

9. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh, sorry I should have been more clear.

See, powertabs are this useful way of tabbing music or peices out. The program is called "power tab editor" and can be found here I believe - www.power-tab.net It's a free program to download, and many powertabs can be found amongst the net...most notably www.powertabs.net

Now, why are they so useful? Well, they include the music staff and time signature etc. so it's pretty much like looking at an official tab book if you know what I mean. You'll see when you get it. It also uses a midi so that you can play it at the right tempo, and even play along with it if you wish. I'd recommend this over regular tabs any day. Oh, and they are *mostly* always better than crappy tabs you find at like www.mxtabs.com or whatever as well because sometimes people just transcribe it straight out of an official book.

Another program to check out that's similar to this (I prefer power tab editor) is Guitar Pro 3 or 4. Guitar Pro tabs can be found at www.mysongbook.com

I hope that helped! If anything's unclear in my post...you'll see when you download the program, and then download a power tab (a song) to open with it....and if you still don't get it, you can reply in here.

Cheers:)

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I started off tab and don't regret it only because it got me playing songs and jamming right away. I learned about 35 songs off tab and play in a band. I just started taking lessons about a month ago. One word BORRING. I am concentrating on thoery and it's making a huge difference already. I am learning proper technique, drills, scales, modes, it's awesome. But if I only took lessons maybe I would be a little discouraged, since i can play songs and jam I cam apply it to my everyday playing. The only downside is I am learning to read music so it's a little different than learning from tab but I could see how it may cause some problems starting off tab and going to standard notation, but that would be the only negative from using tab to me but I am adjusting. But a teacher will help for sure.

11. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Well, I learned a little differently than mentioned. I played trombone for 4 years before picking up bass (and 2 years after), so I still had a good bit of instruction on bass clef, music theory, etc. Then, I learned bass by picking through a learners book for a little before I got bored, then switched to tabs. After that, I sat next to the radio and started copying stuff by ear. Then, I started writing my own stuff.

Post edited. Don't play the 'your music sucks' game here