Best way to link effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by M_O_B, Mar 16, 2010.

1. M_O_B

M_O_B

Mar 9, 2010
    M_O_B
    Hi
    I'm currently using a Morley Dual Bass Wah, a Big Muff Bass and a Boss Limiter/Enhancer and am wondering if anyone has any advice on the best order to link these up to avoid unwanted noise or any interference.

any help would be much appreciated.

Oh if it makes a difference i'm using a line 6 X2 Wireless System

2. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    maybe just experiment a little? personally i put my muff before my wah but im pretty sure there will be a heap of folks who will do the opposite..

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, it's only 3 pedals, just plug 'em one way, then another, until it sounds best to you.

4. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    BBM -> Morely -> LMB-3

5. nboyer941

nboyer941

Jul 22, 2008
    Burnsville, MN
    bypass them

loopmaster.com

6. to can unwanted noise i'd forget about a wireless system and get a good cable.

the order of your pedals is very important for the sounds you can get- but i dont think this is the issue, if your talking about outside noise. could be noise from your bass that your compressor is enhancing. or weird electric where you rehearse. the more details you give, the better. what kind of sound is it your trying to get rid of?

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The X2 is one of the cleanest, most sonically faithful wireless systems I've ever used for the price. Sounds just like using a cable to me, so it really doesn't factor in here. :D

As for the three pedals you're using... when they're all off, the order is irrelevant as far as noise is concerned. When on, noise is less important than the resulting sound. Wah before distortion sounds nothing like wah after distortion.

The Bass Big Muff and Dual Bass Wah, IME, add little noise to your signal unless you're aiming for treble-heavy tones. The order on those two comes down to personal preference.

Limiters, meanwhile, are generally placed at the end so they can do their job properly as effects before them are turned on... but IME, the Boss LMB-3 is a noise monster when you use the "Enhance" knob, no matter where it is in the chain.

That's the number one complaint about the LMB-3: the Enhance knob is a joke. Leave that at zero, and you should be fine.

8. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    I would go, limiter - muff - wah.

I like to wah my distortion not distort my wah.

But if you want less noise, you might try not using the limiter at all. Everything you add to your signal chain can add noise or affect your tone in a negative way, that includes cables.

It might be good for recording to help set your levels, and avoid clipping, but for playing live, jamming, practicing or whatever, I don't think you really need it. Unless of course you like what it does to your tone.

Rock on!:bassist:

9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    THREAD JACK ALERT:

So wah before chorus??

10. led3

led3

Nov 4, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    the LMB-3 is pretty noisy in my experience. i use a ns-2 noise suppressor as a mute to kill the noise when i'm not playing. the noise isn't an issue for me when i'm actually playing.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021