Best way to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by teprodic, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Im 15 and I'm around 20 pounds over-weight. I have this big religion thing coming up on April 4th and I would really like to lose a few pounds because I would be wearing a suit and I don't want to look really bad in it. So what would you guys suggest for me to do that could really help with such a short amount of time left until the day.
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Watch what you eat, no junk food, no fast food, and get plenty of physical exercise. That worked for me.
  3. This might sound a little drastic but join the spring track team. I was really starting to get bad with my weight and frinds told me to join the high school track team. after around 3 weeks i lost around 24 pounds. Usual track teams practice every day and do: running, cardio, stretching (very very important), and weight lifting every other day. As long as you drink alot of water and other clear fluids and eat a normal diet, you should lose weight.

If you can't join a track team, just go to the gym everyday and see a physical trainer.

Good luck.
  4. First of all I wouldnt be aiming to lose that much weight that quickly. I would be aiming for 10 pounds at the mos over that time period.

What you have to do is improve your metabolism so that you burn more fat. The best way of doing this is to exercise and eat small meals often throughout the day, if you normally eat 3 meals a day then spread the 3 meals across 5. Stay away from too much fat esp. saturated fats.

There are also some foods that improve metabolism, tye only one i can think of at the moment is chillis.

Good luck
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    1st thing: eat a small, sensible breakfast. that 'kick starts' your metabolism for the day.

2nd: drink lots (lots!) of water. Often times, we eat because we think we're hungry and we're actually thirsty. by drinking more water, you avoid unnecessary eating.

3rd: eat less saturated fats and sodium.

4th: excercise. weight bearing excercise like weight lifting and yoga keep your metabolism elevated for longer periods of time than cardio excercises. that doesn't preclude the need for cardio workouts, though.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

To lose weight and keep it off. Try a "food free" diet.;)

I did that for about...pfft..2 or 3 months. Shed about 20 pounds.

Now, I just follow the basic "watch what you eat" BS. Lost an extra 15 pounds since then.

I'm 16, 5'10. Last summer I was at 245, now I'm down to 215.

Oh, and also. WEIGHT LIFTING IS A MUST!! No weight lifting is like reading a book with your eyes shut.

More muscles - more calories burned while doing whatever you are doing.
  8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm working on losing some... and am about your age. Just sort of watch what you eat... and do some jogging and weights every day, or at least 5 times a week. That should do it.
  9. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you are a heavy pop drinker, stop. This will increase your stamina and make it much easier to get in shape with physical activity.
  10. Here's a new habit that I developed last fall - running at night. I'm not doing now until it gets warmer (I got sick for two weeks from running in the winter) but I totally lost fat doing it. My weight didn't drop dramatically but I was thinner with more muscle definition. Plus the cardio exercise made my martial arts a LOT easier.

The nice thing about running at night is that there is no one watching, it's cooler and you can zone out by staring at the clouds and the moon. I do three sets of running - 10 minutes of running followed by 1 minute of walking.

If you try this, I would recommend that you spend some money on good running shoes. Drink about a litre of water a half hour before running - I usually stretch while I'm drinking. And pick a SAFE route - I run around a well-lit, well-populated street that's only a block from my house.

It might be too cold right now but if you pick it up when it's warmer, I promise you that you will be in awesome shape by next winter.
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Doctors simple equation....Eat Less Move More.

Good luck

12. LOL! I love it when a learned person chimes in! I really like you slant on KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!):D
  13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Even though it´s funny, it could not be any simpler and more effective!

I had gained a few extra pounds that I didn´t want and I simply did what Mike said. I try do watch out for what I am eating and I moved more. I took up daily walks which last about 45-50 minutes each. My walks consist of walking at a good pace and I use deep and consistent breaths.

Since I took up walking I have shed my extra few pounds, increased my stamina and this is a very good excercise for the cardio system :)

As Mike said: Eat less, move more!

People today should stop focusing on all the diet crap that´s being hailed as the ultimate weight-loss thingy. Most of these diets are utter crap! Do it the simple and effective way, that ensures that the weight you lose stays off!

14. Agreed, it's just that its been a long time since I saw a no BS way of putting it! No miracle pills no snazzy detox plans etc!

You approach is good - walking a mile burns off as many calories as running a mile!:)
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's interesting to know - that last point in particular.

I'm not really trying to lose weight - but it's useful stuff.
  16. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Good advice from Ben, Pacman and Mike.

It's not about dieting or finding the magic pill or the perfect workout -- it's about developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

That's only way to really take weight off and keep it off.
  17. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    A pound of fat = 3500 calories.

Eat 500 calories LESS and burn 500 calories MORE every day and you'll lose 2lbs of fat every week.

This equates to eating one bowl of cereal LESS per day and walking an hour MORE every day.

It's a reasonable, acheivable goal. You've just gotta be consistent and patient and you'll drop those 20 lbs for bathing suit season...

18. Your point is a good one! One other thing worth mentioning, is to try to cut out fat as much as possible. It delivers a high amount of calories, and your body will try to burn off fat that you've taken in before it works on your waistband!
  19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've found the following to be a simple way to lose weight:

1) Exercise about 30 minutes first thing in the morning. You'll burn more calories all day.

2) Eat small, low fat meals 5 times a day, it will keep your metabolism up more than 3 larger meals.

3) Absolutely no carbohydrates after 6pm.

4) Drink tons of water.

Do this and you'll shed the weight.