Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best way to pay for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Hey, look guys...I am a 15 year old broke butt guy here, and I need a new bass. To you peopel prefer paying it all at once or a little at a time for a brand new bass...I am looking at Ernie Ball Stingray5.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This probably isn't what you want to hear but..

Why new? If I were 15 again I'd look for a good used bass. If not then an inexpensive new one.

As far as how to pay for it, it depends on your cashflow. If you will have consistent money coming in to make monthly payments that may be the easiest way. You may also establish some credit (I don't know if this would be reported). If not, how would you get a lump sum?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm with Brad on this. If I knew, 30+ years ago, when I started playing bass what I know now, I'd scrape up all the loot and cash for aluminum cans I could and edge out somebody in the closing seconds of an eBay auction like I did when I got a good as new ToneWorks effects processor there for 2/3's of what a new one cost.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If you must have a Stingray 5 then go for it but there will be compromises to make.

Time-you will have to wait.
    Work-can you get a paperound or Saturday job? (I dont know the laws about this in USA)
    Family-would they be offended if you asked for money instead of Birthday and Christmas presents?

As Brad said going secondhand will save a lot of money.

It took me 8 years to get my first 'dream' bass and that was with redundancy (layoff?) pay.

Jam today or jam tomorrow? (I thinks its called jelly stateside but you know what I mean)

5. LvHooters

LvHooters

Sep 20, 2000
    With "Blood, Sweat and Tears".

6. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    why dont you ask JT :p ... he seems to know, he has 16 string custom neckthrough basses! :) :)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, 14 string, 7 string and 8 string.

He has more money in his basses than I have in my 2 cars.

Heck, they are probably worth more combined than my house!:eek:

8. Adam Clayton

Adam Clayton

Jan 19, 2001
    I agree with what has been said - try saving up for a while or going second-hand! - if u really what the MM then you may have to wait - don't get something you don't really need. I have made that mistake in the past and I ended up having 3 or 4 down-market basses instead of 1 "good" one. You don't want to be in that situation !!

Good Luck !

9. your 15......therefore you can get a job (if your in USA) and if thats the case....get yourself a job....even if it is flippin burgers. youll eventually get money to find a good bass.

thats why it sucks to be me....considering im only 14 i cant legally work.

10. Tim_Tool

Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    I myself am saving to buy a Stingray. Ive been at it for about a year and a half now, mainly cause I hate owing people money. I'd advise just saving and paying for it all at once, because you never know what will happen to your job if you have to make payments.

I'll shut up now

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree on the used basses giving better value. I have bought my last few basses on 2 years interest-free credit from the Bass Centre in London. So how can I lose - no interest and I can take the bass I want with me, then and there just after trying all the options?

12. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Why pay the interest to borrow the money? Your going to pay enough to get a MM anyway. Why not save for a while and in the meantime try out anything you can get your hands on.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    It really depends on what kind of interest plan the place you are buying it from has. Whenever I bought my bass and amp I made a down payment on it, but I had to have it completely paid off within 60 days or it was :eek:26%:eek: interest. Like everyone else has said, if you already have a decent bass, why not just save your money for now, or buy one used instead of new. I'm only 15 myself, and I know it's difficult to make payments when you have basically NO cashflow. I ended up having to get a job at my aunts restaurant for a couple of weeks to pay it off.

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon, and tell you to set your sights on what you can afford. I'm showing my age, but my first bass cost $100, and the local music store allowed me to rent it for $5/month, with part of that going towards purchase. Unless you already have money, you have to be realistic. Your goal is to play it, not resent it. I'd make my way to the local music stores (big or small), try out the basses that are within your reach, find one you like well enough, and then talk with the store managers to find out what they can offer you. And now for the geezer lesson of the day - if you continue to learn how to play on a bass that you think isn't what you really want, you're going to be surprised at how well you can play when you finally get that Stingray. I really hated my first bass after a while, but I couldn't afford a new one. When I finally did get it, I realized that I had been paying my dues, and it paid off.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually - I have tried a few Stingray 5s and they are actually quite hard to play IMO - very heavy and very bulky neck. In terms of playability (if not sound) something like a Squier or MIM Jazz 5 is better - the neck is easier anyway. And they are about a third the price over here as well!

People keep going on about interest - but as I said I've managed to buy basses on 0% interest credit terms - so why bother saving?

[Edited by Bruce Lindfield on 01-23-2001 at 05:38 AM]

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I'm with gweimer on that one. I've had a few cheap budget basses and just got a quality instrument. I used to have to fret harder, and really mess with the eq to get good sounds.

Now I can dial up a good tone in seconds, and as I can ply with a lighter touch, I can play faster and better, while still keeping good tone.

Don't automatically consign budget basses to the bin though. True, 10 years ago, most of them were awful (I'm thinking Encore here). Have a look at the new Squiers. If you like the MM, Vintage (distributed by JHS in Britain, I don't know if they are in the States) make a pretty good copy. My last bass before this purchase was thier top of the range 5 stringer, Bubinga body, active pickups, and gold hardware, all for £350. Also check out the Warwick Streamer standards, seriously good build quility for under 500 notes, though it's a bit neck heavy for me, the next ones up are better, still less then the MM though. You might even end up liking these manufactures models more than the MM

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't understand why you need a new bass. Does yours do the job you need it to?:confused: I suppose this is the accountant side of me talking, but to me it makes sense: "If you can't afford it, don't buy it." I know a lot of people who ended up getting in some financial trouble because they bought something on credit when they couldn't afford the payments. It's easy to justify how you'll pay for it until the time comes and you're halfway through paying it off, when all-of-the-sudden, you've got other obligations that make it too difficult to manage!

You'll enjoy the MM more if you just hold off, start a savings account, and put all of your hard-earned money in it. Then, when you have saved enough, go get it! You'll love it even more, and probably never regret it!

18. Troutdog

Troutdog

Sep 29, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I definately would look first at e-bay or the Harmony-Central classifieds - just be patient and something good will come along, ususally at a great price. Keep in mind there are tons of players who buy instruments and then get the itch a few months down the road and then need to unload their instrument to get the next great thing (I should know because I am one of them)!!

If you have no luck buing a used bass, you can usually do the "no payments, no interest, same-as-cash" at Guitar-Center, just remember to pay it off before the deadline or you'll get whacked with an outrageous interest payment on top of it all. Good luck!

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Something I started doing at age 15 for big purchases was to set up a dedicated savings account at the bank. Every spare buck I could get was deposited - you'd be amazed at how fast it accumulates. (Hell, I STILL do this, and I'm 38!)

It's a lot easier to save up what you can't get at the money for bull$hit stuff...

20. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    you keep track of his basses?

thats cool

/lovebown