1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to play with damaged fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ClaytonH, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    How do you guys play when you got cuts and scrapes on your fingers?

I got quite a lot of cuts while working on a project recently (because it's not a real project until your blood has been spilled for it) and its quite difficult to play due to the fact that some cuts were deep and others just took away a couple layers of skin.

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    let em heal if you can. Neosporin or some such cream might help quicken the process

3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Wow. Ive never accomplished a real project... so sad.

Use different fingers until they heal I guess?

4. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Left hand? Right hand? Both?

Right hand: Play with a pick.

Left hand: Electrical tape and/or Super Glue.

5. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Take a break if possible.

Keep those cuts clean and apply neosporin frequently.

Adapting to only use the healthiest fingers may work. I've found its very helpful to be able to use different plucking and/or fretting fingers anyways---- but especially when finger tips get cut.

6. When my fingers get cut off I usually just play with my toes

7. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    with your thumb

8. I have seen other posts similar to this and the common remedy seems to be superglue on the cuts and/or finger tips.

9. Crowder101

Crowder101

Jul 5, 2010
    Arkansas
    tongue..

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sometimes you just have to give your body time to heal; it can be tempting to push through the pain, but it isn't always the smart thing to do.

11. take this as an opportunity to study some theory

12. Bass.Frk101

Bass.Frk101

Mar 8, 2009
    I use masking tape on cut finger tips. Best cheapest freakin band-aids in the world.

13. :D

How do you play with cut up fingers? With gritted teeth and a mean face to go with it.

14. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Duct tape. I had a callouse split the day before a concert taking off a couple layers of skin and hurting like a b**ch!! It looked kinda stupid but was functional.

15. Just let it bleed, baby. I have been practicing alot lately to get up to speed with a new band. Got a few cracks on my fingers in the process. Looked down at rehearsal and noticed I had bled all over the strings.

Cool.

16. If it's on the picking hand, I use either a pick or the uninjured finger - it's not like I'm doing fusion gigs so generally I get away with one finger.

17. subject42

subject42

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm pretty accident prone, so I keep a bottle of liquid bandage in my car at all times. As long as you aren't talking about bandsaw level injuries the stuff works wonders.

Alternately, get better at slap bass.

18. scott0606

scott0606

Nov 12, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1 for the liquid bandage. Back when I wasnt consistently playing I would get horrible blisters and even had them bleed all over my bass at a show! I also found switching to flats helped limit blisters too

19. randall p

randall p

Aug 14, 2009
    norwich, ct
    My fingers crack like crazy in the dry winter months.
    +100 to liquid bandaid. :)

20. Headbanger

Headbanger Banned

Dec 9, 2010
    Frank Bello said that he puts glue on his fingers.