Best way to practice with prerecorded stuff?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Oct 27, 2005.

1. So, my computer MP-3 player is off key with my bass (what else is new?). I used to have a CD player with pitch control, but it's dead and gone now. Is there a way to adjust pitch on some playback device, ideally software controlled? I really don't want to tune my bass to play against CD's all the time!
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Just ordered the Tascam CD Bass Trainer - will post a review in Miscellaneous when I get it. Search in there now and you'll find a few comments already there about what appears to be agreat little gadget!
  3. huh, never heard of it, will check it out!
  4. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I use a Korg Toneworks Pandora PX4B. It has a pitch shifter that I find pretty useful for practicing pre-recorded music that is alternatively tuned. I don't think it's construction is all that great, though.
  5. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

If you're on a computer, get a program called Transcribe! . It does a number of different things.
  6. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

Great piece of software. Pitch shifting is one of a million things it's great for.
  7. Why not just tune your bass to the recording? It seems easier that way.
  8. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    you want to get the FREE download from called the guitar & drum tutor.

it is slightly crippled, and for a few bucks you get the whole thing, however, even crippled, it is just fine.

G&DT allows you to slow an mp3 file & keep it in pitch, thus
    you can play along with it.

you have to register but Ryan (one man site) won't spam you so don't fret it.
  9. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I have to learn alot of covers so mine is essential.
    It's not perfect, but works for me.
    I use it all the time.

Good luck,
  10. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
  11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    What's up, your bass only plays in one key??? Or are you only able to play in one key?