1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to quit a job

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Apr 19, 2010.

1. im thinking tell them im chaning my available hours to no hours a week

then giving my two weeks notice?

2. tell them you are going to a better paying job

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Do this:

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Go with the classic "Turd in a desk drawer". That'll get their attention.

5. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I always like the "It's not you, it is me...." speech.

6. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Yes. Probably the only man who could pull that off.

7. [​IMG]

8. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    You could just burn the place down. I knew a guy that did that once. Come to think of it i wonder what ever happend to him.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you are serious, you do it in a mature and professional way. Just like leaving a band or whatever. You do not want to burn bridges. You never know when you may need someone's recommendation or even a job again in the future.

10. Only job where I wanted to be a jerk when I quit was when I left Tescos (supermarket chain in the UK).

But, it wasn't that spectacular. I handed in my two weeks notice, then said I was going to take a few days off.
    They said they couldn't give me the time off. I repeated that I was just telling them I was taking said days off.
    After the first day off (had been at a gig), came back to a message on the answering machine asking why I hadn't been in. When I went in for a shift, I got told to go to the managers office.
    He explained I couldn't just take a day off, I explained I told my supervisor I would be taking the day off. He told me that that isn't the way it works. I then asked him "What are you going to do then, fire me?" and walked out his office and went back to work. Finished that shift and the one's I hadn't said I was taking off.

To be fair tho, they were absolute A-holes. I had a holiday booked before I started working there and had mentioned it during my interview that I wouldn't have been able to make those days. When I brought it up closer to the time, they said they wouldn't be able to give me time off, even though I had told them previously. I also had my supervisor tell me (at 16/17) that working for Tesco was more important than high school.

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    He never got his stapler back, but enjoyed a nice vacation in the Carribean. :p

12. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    In all fairness he did kinda look like milton. Oh and that reminds me. Make sure to smash some expensive office equitment before you leave.:D

13. well im a dishwasher, so.........breaking plates kinda just happens everyday so..........thats not gonna work

14. latest+banner+paint.

15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    You should have listened to him,sounds like a reasonable guy.:p

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The toes you step on today may be connected to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Watch yourself, even though it is a low level position you are leaving.

-Mike

17. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I prefer to take the high road. Give ample notice & do my best till the last minute. Make 'em sorry to see me go.

I don't mind saying I had to retreat over a couple of different bridges to get through last winter.

18. on the other hand, when I managed a Famous Footwear, my District Manager accused me of stealing $100 bucks out of the till when he counted it for an audit, in front of my employees. He forgot to count the fives. I walked back to his office which was in my store, said "hey, josh I forgot to tell you "**** you"", threw my keys and nametag on his desk, and walked out in the middle of a shift.

19. I once quit a job by telling my supervisor "I'm gonna go back to the house. I'll see ya around".
    I generally prefer and endorse this approach, but (aside from the example above from my youth), there has been once instance when the employer REALLY didn't deserve the courtesy, regardless of bridges. I am currently blacklisted from that organization after we reached an impass when negotiating my departure. They wanted 30 days notice and an exceptionally unreasonable amount of work completed in that timeframe (year end goals met by June) or else I couldn't get my vacation or other benfits. I refused to sign, took care of the other peope relying on me and walked.

Mike

20. Blimpers are stern people.