Best way to record my bass?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by PanteraFan, May 16, 2002.

1. OK, I don't have a DI box, but I'm looking for the best way to record my bass tracks into Cakewalk 9. I have a Peavey Combo 115, and no direct out it listed, but I have pre and post EQ FX loops, a high + low crossover and I havce my stompbox effects. WHich would be the best method of getting signal to Cakewalk? Through the amp or stompboxes? If the amp, which outputs?

My mic sucks, so no micing the amp. I'll be going direct to the Line-In of my PC.

Thanx in advance,

2. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I have an Ampeg B-2 with an effects loop and I just run a line from the effects send from my amp to my sound card and it sounds good.
  3. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    You can use the pre-amp send of your amp, you may have to crank the gain to get a good level though.

If you plan on recording your effects I suggest recording a dry signal at the same time. So a DI box may be in your future, or maybe an amp modeler like the Pod or J-station.
  4. I'm interested in the best way to record a bass into a computer sound card to generate MP3 files.

My thoughts are pumping the DI output of my SWR Interstellar Overdrive into the LINE IN of my sound card by using an XLR to mini-phono stereo plug custom cable.

Without reinventing the wheel, I'm sure somebody out there has already got a high quality and repeatable method of interfacing to a sound card.

5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Line out -> line in. A signal from the DI might be a bit weak and need further amplification for good SNR.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just try out what works best.

A DI box with balanced output doesn't offer real advantages with ordinary soundcards with unbalanced line ins.
    Also, as Oysterman said, the signal level can be a bit lower than desired, and the internal DI outs of bass amps are not too well designed in some cases.

I use the line outs of my preamp and connect them to the analog line ins of my Midiman Audiophile. My preamp has stereo outputs (dual mono really), which is really nice for recording.
    I never experienced noise or ground hum with this configuration.

I'd like to have a little mixer, though, for convenience and versatility, but the quality of my existing setup is perfectly ok.
  7. I have the Effects Out (lineout) of my SWR IOD that is unbalanced. I can also make a cable that matches the XLR balanced out to the unbalanced soundcard LINEIN.

My concern was level matching. There are at least two dB specs for line, and neither my SWR nor my soundcard specify theirs.
  8. I bought a Radio Shack cable that is a 1/4" male phone plug and a 1/8" male mono submini plug. This plugs directly between the Unbalanced Out of my SWR IOD and the LINE IN of my sound card.

Everything works, kinda. I have to turn the IOD output WAY up, and run the LINE IN recording level to max to get any kind recording. This isn't right, so I changed out cables and still have the same problem. The only thing left is the sound card.

I'm puzzled, because I shouldn't have to drive the sound card that hard to make a LINE IN recording.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Are you sure the output of the IOD is line level? (Stupid question, of course it must be?)

What sound card do you have, BTW?

Maybe it's just that the IOD doesn't have a massive amount of gain available. A studio pre usually has what, 40 or 60 dB gain... although I thought bass pres were the same regarding this?
  10. I have the exact same problem. The solution? I plugged into my MIC IN rather than LINE IN. I turned off the 20dB mic boost, set my preamp gain to normal levels, and reduced the input gain of the MIC. Perfect quality recording.
  11. The IOD is reported to have as much as +24DB gain on the DI outs. I'd think that would be enough, but apparently not. However, the IOD does great driving my QSC power amp, plus its DI has more output than my old Alembic F-1X DI had.

I was considering the mic input, but was told the fidelity is really crappy. I'll just have to try it and see.

All I want to realize is nice high quality recordings of various basses, pickups and strings for comparison purposes.