1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to record myself on the extreme cheap?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Apr 11, 2010.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been tinkering with writing some originals for the group I'm in and realized that it would help if I could record some of it to send them so that we're not just figuring it out on the spot in rehearsal. I make squat for $ so need a way to do it without spending much, sadly.

I tried downloading Audacity for my laptop but all it picks up so far sounds like a pile of farting (my eleven-year-old son loves it). That's me playing through the amp and letting the laptop's built-in mike pick up whatever it can in the air. I'm not that great of a musician, but I'm pretty sure I'm not THAT bad. It also seems to crash on a pretty regular basis when I hit the button to stop recording. Any suggestions?

2. Write out charts.

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Korg, Boss, Zoom and others make "micro" recorders. I think most of them are 4-tracks.

Go to Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, etc websites and look in the "recording" section to get an idea of what's out there and what it costs. If you find what you think you need but can't spend that much, look for a used one on eBay.

4. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Try to find a Tascam Portastudio 4-track on craigslist. I've seen them as cheap as $20.00 and they work well for what you're trying to do.

5. hrodbert696

6. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    If you happen to have the Rock Band game stuff, the mic it comes with is a USB mic and can be used to record with and its not too bad, really.

7. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter from radio shack, plug your bass in to your computer's line in, hit record and play your bass

8. [​IMG]

like 3$

9. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    Yes This works well and you can E-mail your stuff ahead of time:cool:

10. hrodbert696

I tried this and it didn't seem to work right, but I guess I'll give it another shot.

11. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    where do you hit record---what program?

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  13. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    use the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, record a little bit, then check out the peaks and valleys of the signal in audacity. Adjust your volume in the windows sound control til the sound wave is the right amplitude. You will probably have to mess with some setting in the volume control to see your recording volume.

14. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
  15. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Audacity should work well. I particularly like the noise filter. Test the settings to find the minimum needed to flat line a sample of background noise. Then filter the entire track.

Some active basses have a signal hot enough to go direct to the line in. Have you tried that?

I assume your amp doesn't have a DI out. If it does get a cable to connect the DI (line out) to the line in on your computer.

Adapters to go from stereo RCA to 1/4" & 1/8" monaural jacks will let you process the signal through a component stereo system. Listen for clipping if you monitor the sound through the stereo system. Audio electronics, like guitar amps, can be overloaded easily.

If that's not available, I get decent results with this $20, battery powered, phono pre-amp from RadioShack; http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2541471
    The same adapters stereo/monaural are needed.

Good luck :cool:

16. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    absolutely! a cheap usb interface would help tons too.. consumer sound cards are useless for recording for the most part. also try recording a totally clean signal, (if you have a reasonable interface, you can always loop out to outboard effects or use plugins) the cleaner the signal in, the easier it is to manipulate

17. Walking

Walking

Apr 5, 2010
    Minnesota