Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best way to recored to a 4 track

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 15, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    whats the best way to recored to a 4 track i have a carvin pb 1000 if it help and its a tascam

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What are you recording? Are you just asking about bass, or are you referring to recording your band?

I've tried recording my band live before, with mixed results. I just don't think the 4 tracks are enough to properly mic the drums, along with other instrumentation.

With bass, you can try direct. You may or may not need a DI. It's not always necessary. The best thing to do is experiment. Try recording direct at different levels. See if you like the sound. I found that I can record very well with my Carvin BB75 direct, but I don't like to record my Ibanez direct as much. Probably the pickups. Anyway, if you're going to mic your amp, I have had great success with the Shure SM-57 (I think is the model). I place the mic about an inch to two inches from the center of the cone of the speaker.

If you're recording a band, and not recording live. I like to record drums first, with a dummy track, on 4 - 6 tracks (depending on how your 4-track stretches for additional tracks), then I bounce those to two tracks, record guitars mic'ed, record keyboards direct, pianos mic'ed (of course), bass direct, and vocals last.

Does that help?

3. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i want a really god but chep mic under 100 pleasae help

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You can get the Shure SM-58 ($99.99) or SM-57 ($79.99). I use the 58 and our drummer uses the 57. We're both very happy with them.