Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best way to shim a nut?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, May 29, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My low E string makes this bizarre rattling noise lately whenever I use it unstopped at any volume over about mp. I'm assuming the problem is that the nut is too low on that string, since when I increase the tension on the string by pulling down on the non sounding part of the string either behind the nut or bridge, the sound disappears. I've tried making a shim out of a piece of a business card, but it doesn't really work. Any suggestions on how to fix this until I can afford to take the time to drive the 100+ miles to the nearest luthier?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've laid a little gel-type superglue in a slot that was too low. Let it set up and dry for a while, add another bit if necessary.

Otherwise, I've also taken a slice of hardwood and put it on the table belt sander to make a slim shim to put under the nut.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Try adjusting the G string side of the bridge up a little bit (this will lower the G string (!) and raise the E).

4. Is anybody wondering how our Moderator managed to put a setup question in the Amps and Pickups section? The answer is, he's currently somewhat distracted. It's going to get worse, folks, so make allowances.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Whoops! You're absolutely right, although I can't imagine what the big distraction is...:rolleyes: I can tell you this: the current working title of the growing distraction is "Flipper". No relation to the dolphin.

Moved to Setup.

6. How are things going Mr. Distracto?
    Best way to shim a nut, little late for that question.

7. Chris,

What's the ETA?

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    So Ray's suggestion to adjust the G string comes a bit late too, then...

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    We're looking at November 21 as the best guess. Guess who already has a bunch of bookings in that general vicinity? :rolleyes:

Maybe not - My mistake was that I lowered the G string instead of raising it. Next time I'll know better. :)

True, but have no fear...once the little bundle of joy arrives, I know a couple of nuts that are going to get "shimmed" PERMANENTLY.

You guessed it: I'm going to use epoxy.

10. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Super glue might be more surgically correct.

Congrats Chris.

Not to change the subject, but have you tried a card under the nut? or is it glued on?