1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to ship a bass from Florida to Texas.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Libersolis, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hey everyone. I am purchasing a bass from a fellow talkbasser in Florida to ship to me here in Texas. We are currently discussing options. I am willing to fly and drive to get the bass but that requires an investment of time and is expensive. Shipping requires the cost of shipping and a crate. I'm considering having a furniture moving company do it but i don't know if this is a good idea?

We are looking for ways to make it easy and as inexpensive, hassle free for both parties involved. The bass is a hybrid lascala and totally worth doing anything for, for the price I am being offered. What are your suggestions?

2. Rent a hybrid SUV and drive. If something happens to that bass in transit, you'll kick yourself for years.

3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I would make the drive and meet half way - Mobile maybe? You'll spend as much in shipping and insurance coverage as you would for gas.

4. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I can do that, but you have to understand that is going to be a 5 day trip there and back, and it's not something I can do without pulling strings at work. If I am going to ship what's the best way?

5. Some of the vendors who advertise on this site, would have experience on which companies to use and which ones to avoid. Ask them.

For the packaging itself, it seems that the bass in a gig bag and then immobilized inside a wooden rectangular crate would be good. Seller could build one for pretty cheap, or get something from people like this..

About : Quick Crate

Hybrid Lascala? Sweet!

Actually any of the buyers of the NS/Upton/etc basses care to chime in on how their package arrived?

6. Go to the source . . . call Arnold & ask him for a recommendation - who better ??? ;)

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Put in a bid at U-Ship.com and specify "white glove service". That will insure that the driver will basically hand deliver the bass in some sort of non-cargo vehicle.

8. dude: greyhound. have the seller rent a flight case for a week or two and ship the bass in it. then ship the flight case back. i've done this with two basses so far and it works great and is cheap.

9. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    :scowl::rollno::scowl::rollno::scowl::rollno:

Great and cheap don't usually go hand in hand. I'll dig out this old thread in hopes that it helps. Greyhound will insure a bass for a MAX of $300. If it gets lost or stolen you are out big time. A flight case and a bass. :bawl:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/shipping-bass-greyhound-bus-beware-598852/

10. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    Have you checked what shipping will be? it may be just as cheap to fly then rent a car to get back. I wouldn't trust greyhound either. My friend ships his bass with Purolator Courier and I think it was a few hundred bucks to get it from Ottawa ON to Victoria BC. I don't remember the exact number, but it was not exactly on the cheap side.

Check seat sales for airlines maybe? Best of luck to you.

eerbrev

11. not to belittle your admittely horrifying experience, MollyKay; of course its more risky, thats why its cheaper. that old thread is, um, a sobering read.

12. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Upton buyer chiming in.

Here's how my package arrived.