1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to ship a bass with neck unbolted to UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chingas, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm sure a mod will let me know. :)

Anyway, I have to ship a bass to the UK. The buyer wants me to ship the bass with the neck unbolted(the bass will be shipped with gig bag, not a HSC). Can anyone suggest the best way to pack the bass for overseas shipping? Any online resources/tips would be great appreciated.

Thanks!

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Wrap the unbolted neck separately, covered in bubble wrap, but with some cloth or something between the plastic and the wood, in case the finish reacts with the plastic. Body in gigbag, both placed in a box with bubble wrap and popcorn or foam surrounding the instrument.

Ship USPS Global Express, insured should cost around $130 for around 4 day delivery, maybe more if customs is slow. Fedex and UPS are double the price for similar service, and no better than USPS to Europe.

3. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    If your anywhere near a Pier One imports store or something similar, visit their dumpster. It a great source of free packing material. They usually have thick sheets of Styrofoam as well as bubble wrap and the very thick cardboard boxes. I also usually find these foam reinforced corners which are really great. When I ship stereo stuff that’s what I do. I have successfully packed and shipped three turntables across the country. That’s no easy feat.

As a plus this stuff would just be going to the dump. This way it will see at least one more use.

4. also go to your local guitar shop... guitar center... sam ash.. anything and either go to their dumpster... or ask them inside for boxes that fit basses.... they can probably give tips as well.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hasn't been previously mentioned but it's a no brainer.....remove the strings first. As has been suggested, bubble wrap is definitely the way to go for both parts. If possible, I would also score a guitar box from my local music store. Once the bass is packed in the gigbag then put the bag in the guitar box. Use balled up newspaper to fill in the spaces in the box so the gigbag isn't moving around. Once the bass is snug then tape the hell out of the box using clear packing tape. I also suggest a large address and return label on the box, which you should cover with the clear tape. That way the address won't get smudged or torn off and your bass has a better chance of finding it's new owner.

6. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    why does he ask for neck to be unbolted? so that it does not break? i i'm going to buy bass from a guy in USA so, should i say the same?
    i think he should read this.

:)

7. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    One reason for dismantling a bass prior to shipping is reducing the size of the package to be shipped. The cost of shipping is calculated not only on weight, but also size of package. You can go to USPS.com, UPS.com, Fedex.com or DHL.com and use their calculators to arrive at the shipping cost.

8. Yep, thats exactly why they do it. Personally, I pay the extra and have the bass shipped in one piece, in a case. I keep the bass neck under tension and basically the bass is the same as it was in the US when it arrives in Australia.

I have shipped about 5 basses so far this way with no problems at all. I don't really like the idea of removing necks for shipping.

9. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    thnx

10. Thanks guys, for the info.

I asked the buyer if he was sure he wanted the bass shipped with the neck unbolted. He seemed pretty certain that was how he wanted it.