Best way to ship a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, May 6, 2004.

1. USPS

2 vote(s)
  2. UPS

4 vote(s)
  3. FEDEX

3 vote(s)
  4. Airborne

0 vote(s)
  5. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What method have you found to be the cheapest and most reliable to ship a bass. Please specify what method you use for your fave carrier. I keep getting rip off quotes from UPS and USPS. :meh:
  2. I shipped a bass to Canada about a year ago by USPS, mainly because a friend of mine that works for UPS told me not to ship it by UPS because they'd have me fill out a ton of paper work, and would probably be more expensive than the USPS.

So, I shipped it USPS - Parcel Post
    The package weighed 25.5 lbs (a bass in a case inside a box) and cost $25.00 to ship. It took about 20 days to get there.

The easy part: I have about 3 bass size boxes lying around the house from other basses I've bought. Some people here have said that they've had trouble finding a box of this size, so this may or may not be a problem for you.

The hard part: Trying to ship it. I originally took it to my local Post Office, and while I was on the line, a manager came out from the back and told me my box was too big to shipped from this location, and that I would have to go to the Post Office inside Kennedy airport to ship it, and this was the only Post Office from which it could be sent. :confused:

Now, I live only a couple of miles from Kennedy airport, so it was no big deal for me, but what if I lived 50 miles away?

So, I go down to the airport PO, and they started to give me a hard time. No one was nasty, but they were saying that it was oversized and that it's length, width and girth were more than 108 inches and that they'd have to find someone who knew about such things.

I mean, we are in a POST OFFICE, aren't we? :D

So, they finally located a manager who knew exactly what to do, which was to look at the oversize chart :rolleyes: had the box measured, properly marked and stamped, then it was on its way.

I didn't get one bit angry about all this, as it's not my nature, but it made me wonder why only one person in a huge building knew exactly what to do.

That's my story, I hope you have an easier time.

3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I ship with UPS but i almost prefer when people send them to me via Fedex.
  4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks, Mike. My wife brought a bass to a UPS store and they wanted to charge her 130.00 to send it from Delaware to California :eek: :confused: We will try USPS next.
  5. $130.00 ??? :eek:

Boy, my friend wasn't kidding. ;)

6. Many stores that do 3rd party shipping charge a lot more than UPS or Fedex do directly.

Be sure to bring your package directly to Fedex or UPS or call for a pickup.

Fedex Ground is a great, cost effectiv service.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You're certainly right about not using third party shipping vendors, they can double the price in some cases. Try running the price on the UPS website, you could be in for a surprise.

My wife works for FedEx, as I did for a couple of years myself. FedEx Ground is a very dirty word in our household; we regard it as a completely separate entity from the Express one. I know it's OK in a lot of places, but out here the service is fair at best. That's an improvement from a couple of years ago though. :cool:

I used to handle plenty of musical gear, and some really fragile stuff like sailboards. It pays to develop a relationship with your courier. They should tell you upfront if your packaging is going to cut it or not. If you're really concerned (and you should be), use overnight service, not 2 day or slower. A lot of bad things happen when a package sits around for a few days.

Personally, "cheapest" wouldn't be the criteria I'd use for shipping any nice instrument. I've had very good dealings with the USPS though. Interestingly enough, they are using both FedEx and UPS as contract carriers nowadays.