Best way to ship cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Whats the best way to ship a cab (Bam 2x10, 93.5 lbs).?
  2. Go to a MailBoxes Etc... or similar Mail/Shipping place.

-Pack "peanuts' on bottom of shipping box.

-Next place a cut out styrofoam board on top of the peanuts.

-Place styro. boards around all four sides against cab. and pour "peanuts" between the spaces between board and box.

-Top with styro board and add "peanuts" to top.

-In the shipping box the final result will be:

*Foam Board

I've shipped combos and cabinets in this fashion all over the US.
  3. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    That is good info I hadn't thought of, but I meant whats the best in terms of UPS, Fedex etc. to actualy send the package.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yep that is what i do

5. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    should you also cover the cabinet with a large plastic bag to prevent peanut pieces from getting inside the speaker?

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i don't think that would be a problem.
    it will be covered in the foam.
    read the post again.

7. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Just last week I shipped an Ampeg 610 SVT cab, weighs 115 lbs., from NJ to Springfield, Ill. At the time I was in a quandry on how to ship it as safe as possible. I just went down to the local "mailboxes" place and had them do it for me. Cost me $ 105.00 to ship but that was payed for by the buyer of the cab. He e mailed me just the other day and said it arrived looking good.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Peanuts are incredibly annoying, they get inside whatever crevice they can get into, and burst open everywhere when you cut open the package. usually, i put them in their own separate garbage bags and place, squeeze, and push in them accordingly.

the best stuff is bubble wrap. easy to use, and easy to wrap the merchandise. also, air pockets seem to be better shock absorbers than styrofoam. usually, i just wrap it 3 layers with my peanut bags, and its good to go.

also, i'm not really a fan of mailboxes, etc. besides, not too many guys appreciate you pushing up the shipping price even further for something the shipper coulda done himself. once, i won an amp on ebay, and the seller refused to ship it to me without him using Mailboxes, etc. but i didnt wanna pay $100 for something that would only be $50 UPS ground. just cause he was lazy, he was pushing me to pay an extra $50 for the labor, peanuts, box, and bubble wrap that mailboxes charged him. kinda ridiculous.

usually, i just go round to the music stores and ask for boxes from amps they just got. i'm pretty chummy with the guys at Matt Umanov's, so i get all sorts of crap from them. usually, the amp box is already full of peanuts, stryofoam padding, etc. ready for you to use. and all free!

i was a big fan of Airborne Express, cause they prided themselves in being the fastest in the "air" service. UPS Ground's 5 days to the west coast from NYC, was only 3 days for them. but they're now limiting their service to freight. UPS is the next and only thing. and dont bother with Fedex Ground. its rather young, so they're still ironing out the kinks.
  9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I used FedX ground from D.C. to Washington state to ship an eden 410 xlt at 98lbs. No problems and it only cost $58.00.
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Donne is asolutely correct that they typically do a good job of packing. What he didn't mention, so I will in the interest of this thread as a future reference tool, is that Mailboxes Etc. roughly DOUBLES the charges that FedEx or UPS charges as well as charges for the packing materials.

If you are footing the bill, you may choose to consider another option. If you are selling this to someone else, you may want to give the buyer that option but also consider a more-cost effective alternative.

You always have the option of getting them to pack it and then carrying it to the hub yourself.

11. Pack it like Donne said, but don't go to Mail Boxes, Etc. Just pack it yourself, make sure there is NO MOVEMENT of the cab inside the box, DO NOT let peanuts get inside the cab (the last cab I had shipped to me, the WHOLE cab was filled with peanuts, I had to take each of the 4 speakers out the clean them out!!!), pack with styro board on each of the 4 sides and top and bottom, tape up the box on each corner, as well as the glued seam, and take it directly to UPS or Fed-x Ground, or OfficeMax (or is it Office Depot?), where they have a UPS shipping counter, and ship it from there. Shouldn't cost more than about $75 for most cabs.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    to ship my 80 pound 15 cab it was only $35 insured!! to philly form daytona!
    but in some wierd twist if i shipped it to my self it would cost me $50? doesn't make sense to me but owell.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'd use FedEx Ground over UPS.

If it's going to a residential address, you'll have to go with UPS as FedEx Home Delivery is limited to 70 lbs and FedEx Ground only goes to business addresses.

I've found that FedEx is about 25 to 30 % less expensive than UPS and the folks at the customer counter are far more pleasant to deal with.

As for packing method, I just shipped a pair of Goliath IIs by wrapping them in kraft paper, covering each surface with 2+ inches of rigid styrofoam and building a cardboard box around it. The foam is $3.00 a 4x8 sheet at Home Depot and the box was free.

Don't skimp on packing materials as damage claims are a royal pain to collect on.

Also, UPS will try to weasel out of insurance coverage for damage unless you overpack it. I have to believe that if it's packed well enough to be covered, they take better care of it because it could cost them in the end (but I'm rather cynical about stuff like that).

BTW, my 2+ inch rigid styrofoam technique was good enough to be insured for damage too.

I seem to recall a recent TB thread that someone shipped a parcel using a Mail Boxes Etc kind of place, the item was damaged and UPS disallowed the claim because the item was "improperly packed" (by a UPS authorized shipping agent none the less).

By all means PACK IT YOURSELF!!!! That way you have absolute control over how the item is protected.

And take a good set of photos each step of the way so that you have full documentation if something does get damaged. This saved me a couple hundred $$ a year ago.

Good luck!!!