1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to ship large cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Hi guys. Anyone have any advice on shipping a large cabinet across country? I figured the price would be steep, but I was amazed at the numbers UPS freight gave me. The cabinet I'd like to ship is an SWR megoliath 8x10. I've heard DHL does good work, but I called them and they said they no longer did domestic ground shipping in the US?

While I understand that driving and meeting someone would be the far better option, is there ANY decent way to ship?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Honestly I`d try my best not to ship and to only sell locally. Otherwise, have the buyer pick up the tab. It`s just not worth the hassle, IMHO.

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Your options are pretty much UPS Ground. USPS won't ship things over a certain weight and FedEx Ground is usually way more pricey.

I've shipped several cabs out UPS and haven't had any issues.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Another alternative is to crate it up and use a trucking company. But that's pricey too.

5. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    FedEx Freight is not a bad option. Not the regular FedEx - they're a separate division of the company. I second the others' points, though. Make the receiver pay the shipping, as it's pricey.

6. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Put it on the Dog.

Greyhound, Hood River, OR to SF CA: $85 for a Sunn 2-15 scoop cab. Overnight. These Sunns are freaking huge, and almost at the 100lbs limit with the speaks removed.

Greyhound works great for large, tough stuff. But you can't cover/insure anything for more than $300.

There are some Greyhound horror stories over on the DB side.

7. I live in NY and I got an SVT810 in NJ for super cheap. Road trip FTW.

8. Decedo

Decedo

Nov 23, 2008
    Has anyone used Yellow Freight? I had heard that they're an option too.

9. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul.

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Just a strategy caution about using freight companies: Check to be sure what happens on the other end. Sometimes they will put the item on the ground (via hydraulic tailgate) and it is the receiver's responsibility from there on. (You'd want to be sure they have a hand truck.) Some will deliver inside if it's a commercial location, but obviously not up the spiral staircase. Some will not deliver to a residence. The receiver may have to pick up the item at the company's loading dock. Lots of questions to ask!

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Well that pretty well counts greyhound out, I mean the 810 surely weighs over 100.0 lbs...

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've used all the shipping companies and, for me, fedex charges actually quite a bit less than UPS.

12. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I think I may be doing something wrong? Why do I keep getting quotes of $1000+?! What is the discount thing on their quote pages? Shouldn't it be like $150 to ship an 8x10?

13. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Bass Central shipped my cabs via Old Dominion Freight. The delivery came to my house in a semi, the driver took the gear off the truck, and I wheeled it into my house with my hand truck. Overall I was quite pleased, as the driver was obviously used to being careful with large items. I wish I could say the same for the "other" shipping companies. YMMV

14. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    I have used greyhound for this very thing. Works great. You have to drop it off, and someone has to pick it up at the other end, but there are some great advantages. The loads are small. Not a lot of other stuff to bang around with.

I bought an 810 from oregon. The guy did a killer job packing it, and I use his method to this day.

Cut a peice of thin plywood and tape it over the grill. Double wrap the whole thing in cardboard. I usually drop by the local appliance place and pick up refrigerator boxes, usually for free.

Tape it all up really well, Especially the seams, and away it goes.

15. rmkesler

rmkesler

May 6, 2009
    Winder, GA
    My 810 came by UPS freight shrink wrapped to a pallet. No complaints.

16. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    +1!