best way to slap the high strings and notes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Brian Stefan, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Brian Stefan

Brian Stefan Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Wall, NJ
    you slap the top strings with you thumb most of the time, but how do you get the high strings without having all the others ring.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You slap E and A, and you pop D and G. Pop meaning put ur fingertip (whichever finger u want) under the string and oull upward rather harshly.
    But if you mean how do u slap on E or A w/o the other ones ringing.. you practice, so you only hit the stirng you want.
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The muting technique you use is really dependant on the riff and your personal comfort zone.
    What works for one riff may not work for another.

You may need to change your left hand fingering to free up your first finger so it can lay across the the strings or use your right hand to find a comfortable part of your palm, wrist or sometimes even your forearm to stop the strings.

Muting the lower registers while slapping the higher registers is kind of a pain in the ass to get comfortable with.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Apart from left-hand damping you can use the (base of the) palm of your slapping hand to mute the lower strings. The lower arm also can be used occasionally.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can slap any of the strings. I slap the high C on my Cirrus 6, and all of the other ones too.
  6. embellisher

As bikertrash and JMX have stated, muting is the solution to the problem.

You can mute the lower strings with your left hand forefinger or middle finger(or your whole hand except for the finger(s) that are fretting note(s)), or you can mute with your wrist or palm on the slapping hand.

It takes a lot of practice. Back when I was learning to slap, I always wondered how the guys who did it well always hit the right string, and only the right string. One day I asked a friend of mine to slow down and show me what he was doing, and he was using muting with both hands. I complimented him on his muting technique, and he laughed and said 'I don't even realize that I am doing it. It just kind of happens.'

That's what you need to develop. Practice muting until it is subconscious. I don't even think about it anymore, it 'just happens'.
  7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Embellisher is right.

Figjam, there are no rules, and I find you get quite a different tone by thumping the high string, vs. popping them. Both are useful to have in your toolbox.
  8. although I think all the above advice is great, I have come to realize over the years that this is not something you can learn by reading. I suggest you play with someone who can slap and get some lessons from them. It doesn't have to be anything formal just watch and learn and have them offer some advice . I would suggest watching some bassist live but most of the time slapping is so fast you wont realy be able to see what is going on.

If you don't mind spending a little bit of money i would strongly suggest the video ... the slap bass program it is by far the best slap instruction I have ever seen, and i doubt anyone that has seen the video will disagree with me.
  9. embellisher

I also highly recommend The Slap Bass Program.:cool:[​IMG]

Not only is it the best slap instructional video, it is the best instructional video period. All of the other videos on the market should have used it as an example of how to make a great instructional video.
  10. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    ..Not another post aboot how to slap the bass?!;-)
    Well let me tell ya,you can't just pick up da bass and play it for a few years then try to 'make out 'your a first rate slapper'!The technique is difficult and is often slandered by the vast majority of bassists who,for whatever reason,do not wish to give credit where credit is due.The slap bass style is,when mastered,a union of bass and is a beautiful and complimentary style of bass playing which sounds utterly overwhelming and very humbling in the hands of the master.Again,only my opinion.Stay cool nonetheless.Scotland's slap bassist."Fallon".
    (P.S...Website coming soon..hope to have some nice tunes on it for y'all!)
  11. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I slap my G string either by doing it the normal way and bouncing my thumb off or by doing a slow half double thump. They both work pretty well.
  12. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    any suggestions of songs to practice that have good slap lines, yet without going excessively fast (and preferably easily available on the 'net for quick access)? Basically, something that would take a mediocre slapper to a slightly less mediocre slapper. :) Thanks!
  13. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, any old Chilli Pepper song is good for not too complicated slap lines. "Higher Ground" is a classic slap line, and also check out "Backwoods" and "Naked In the Rain." Marcus Miller does a song called "Riofunk," thatisn't as amazingly complicated as some of his other stuff but still cool. I haven't found a tab or anything for it, but its in G if you want to try it.