Best way to start playing stand-up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mebusdriver, Feb 11, 2003.

1. O.k. I don't have money to buy a stand up. I want to learn stand-up. So take lessons, read, or watch videos?
  2. This should be in DB forum. A teacher is the only way if you want to play jazz. For country or rockabilly, you could teach yourself, there are a couple of good videos out in those idioms. You should be able to rent a student model DB. If rockabilly is your desire, check out and go to the message board, it has everything you will need to know.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    How are you going to practice if you can't obtain a bass? I believe you can buy some really cheap URBs for around $300-500, it may be an awful instument, but it is miles better than nothing.
  4. I planned on renting. I played a long time ago but not for very long. It was in school, I quit after a little while. Man if I could only have that kind of free training these days. The things we throw away sometimes.
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Renting is usually an awful "deal." I'd say up renting/lesson money for a while, then after you acquired a bass and bow, you can get lessons, without having to be ripped off by a music store.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to the dungeon with you!
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Lessons. Definitely lessons. Now that your thread is down in the castle, you can also check out these threads:

Lots of good readin' to be had in those three.
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Watch a lot of Comedy Central.
  9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    As an EB player, you may think you've got tough callouses on your fretting and pizz fingertips. Guess again! Learn how to deal with blisters (all over again, maybe.) Watch your back and general body posture, you can really twist yourself up with this big b*tch of an instrument.