Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best way to start Two hand tapping.

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Hi, I was wondering, what is the best way that you could reccomend to start two hand tapping, I can kind of do it a little but then its like my hands tie in a knot, it gets kind of confusing.

Sorry, this question is kind of hard to ask, and probably hard to address, Thanks.

2. This doesn't have anything to do with technique, but more on health. Just make sure that your axe has a comfortable low-ish action with light-ish strings. It's just so that you don't get carpel tunnel syndrome in the long run. Well...I that's if you didn't know already :D .

Anywayz,

I don't know if you listen to Chuck Bianchi, but when he was developing his tapping style, he played Bach's two part keyboard inventions on bass (one part for each hand) to work up his skills.

Have you seen Victor Wooten play 'Norwegian Wood' on the Bass Day '98 video? That's probably one of the best displays of tapping I've ever seen. You can also see Cliff Engel play 'Purple Haze' on www.cliffengel.com/media. Again, it's also one of the best displays of tapping that I've seen.

Believe it or not, there's a lot of guitarists out there as well that do two-handed tapping rather than single string tapping. There's guys like Stanley Jordan, Billy MacLaughlin, Preston Reid and Kaki King. Kaki is also coincidentally dubbed as the "female Victor Wooten" and has toured with Vic as well. You should check her out on www.kakiking.com

Also check out www.tappistry.org

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. The last few weeks we have been dealing with a sick child (kind of serious/scary sick)

Anyway, I think Guitarrista is correct in having your actions set up very low. Tapping at its best has two distinct lines happening together. This is a very advanced technique and I would start with a simpler more direct route. Use tapping "get" notes in current bass lines that are hard to reach normally, creating a "line" so to speak. I use this technique in my version of Jaco's "Three Views of a Secret". I want 2 notes to ring as I play a decsending melody line. I fret one and tap the other on an adjacent string.

The other way that I use tapping is to creat a harmony part to a bass line. I might play a simple Root/Five bass line in my left hand and tap the 3rd and 7th (up an octave) with the right hand.

I find that when I tap I need to keep my right thumb over the back of the neck to get some opposition pressure happeneing to allow the tap to ring clear.

I hope this helps

Mike

4. By the way Vic,

There's a video by Dewayne Pate on tapping which has received rave reviews.

You can see sample video clips of him tapping on:

http://www.videoprogressions.com/samples.php

His video is all the way at the bottom of the page. Clip #3 from his video is very entertaining!