1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best way to store a bass (G&L)?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by drumbook, Jun 30, 2007.

1. drumbook

drumbook

May 20, 2006
    Just wondering what the consensus is on storing a bass in between uses 1-2 days or long storage 2-3 weeks so that it doesn't get out of shape i.e. neck, frets, etc.

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    My $.02 is have strings on it that have stretched, will hold their tuning, and leave it tuned to pitch.

I have quite a few basses and some don't come into the rotation too often and I store them this way with no problems.

The truss rod exerts an opposite force to counter the force of the strings. Biggest mistake you can make is to relieve one but not both of those forces.

Jim

3. drumbook

drumbook

May 20, 2006
    Do you store them on a guitar hangar, on a stand, or in a case?

4. I've found that the best way to store a bass for a long time is this:

- Clean and tune your bass.
    - Put it in its case/gig bag and keep it in an easy accessible, not too dry, not to humid place.
    - Every day take it out and play it for a couple of hours!

That should do it! :p :D ;)

5. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Most are in cases but one is on a stand, and another in a gig bag. Those are the two kept the most handy to play.

Jim

6. BIGBEE

BIGBEE

May 27, 2006
    the best way to store them is in my house, i'll take good care of them for you.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    In the case in tune, with a couple humidifiers in the case.

8. The case is it's home. It likes it's home. There's no bass like.. aw, you get the idea.

:bassist:

Even in a bag is good, if upright and padded. :hyper:

9. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have a 61 Jazz bass that I moved from IN to GA to CO without every making a tweak on the truss rod. I have been told that many times old basses do not need to be tweaked as often because the wood stabalizes. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

The point being I keep my basses in cases 100% of the time they are not being played. And when I transport they are also in the cases. Transporting in a case is good because it slows the temp and humidity changes. I have also heard that quick changes in temp and humidity can cause the wood to get a little squirrelly. If you bring a guitar in from a cold or hot car, give it a some time to stabalize at room temperature before opening the case.

Dave

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021