1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best way to store a wood top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sricabla, Apr 3, 2006.

1. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    I bought some really nice cocobolo for use for a bass sometime in the future. What's the best way to store it until that day comes?

Thanks in advance

2. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    I don't think it's a big deal. Just somewhere dry w/ out extreme temps. The only problem I've ever had is with thin wood warping and twisting. If it's thin, put other wood on top of it to keep it flat.

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Definately keep some weight on it if you live in a humid area, or in an area that has odd weather. I live in Indiana which, of course, is known for nothing more than its moronic weather. Just on my first bass project (which still isn't finished) I've managed to have 2 neck blanks warp on me.

... Oh, and that piece of cocobolo doesn't actually exist without pictures. You know the rules.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Keep it inside until you plan to use it. if you keep it covered with cardboard and some weight, it should stay straight.

5. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    How do I post the pix?