1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best way to store used packaging-opened strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Mar 17, 2008.

1. i have a couple of used sets which i want to keep safe incase i might need them in future or something...so how to store them best? should i store them in the plastic air sealing pouches but wouldnt that also seal in moisture along with the strings?
    any ideas?

2. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    keep them immersed in denatured alcohol. you'll be pleasantly surprised when you reinstall them!

3. yeah i clean them by keeping 'em immersed in denatured alchohal for about 24-48hours but i have to carry one back up string set along u know...
    otherwise i once forgot about a set of strings kept in the jar filled with spirit for a couple of months dunno didnt really like those strings any more after so i keep it safe 24-48hours works good and is more than adequate imo

4. I think you guys are being over-cautious, It's okay to take measures, if you plan on playing those strings in 10 years, if it's not the case, just coil them and place them in somthing, a box, an old package of strings, etc. Most string come in paper envelopes that are far from being air tight. they can spend months on a shelf and yet when you put them on your bass, they sound good.

Strings are not fragile.

5. i agree strings are not fragile or anything but i just wanted to know if any one wants to say something about it

6. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    Personally I think wrapping them in airtight plastic will protect them from everything, like extra humid days, a leaky roof, pestilence, famine, rabid dogs, and the like. I don't really think they'd degenerate much more sitting in the air but putting them somewhere watertight will keep from any obvious accidents wrecking them.

7. yeah i think i should keep this this way. thanks for all the replies!