Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Way to Strip a 70s jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Johnny Fila, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Any ideas on the best way to strip a 70s Jazz bass?

2. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Thanks for the advice, but some things really do need to be re-done. there's a reason why i got this thing for cheap.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Let's see a pic.

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Theres a thread that I started yesterday in this forum with front and back pictures.
    See "my late 70s bass project".

5. A lot of sand paper and a lot of patience. Sure, you can use a sander of sorts, but you're gonna need an extra splash o' patience for those hard to reach places.

There are drill bits made especially for stripping, but you gotsta have a delicate touch, cuz it'll scratch up the wood.

6. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Looks like a high quality wood stripper, many grades of sandpaper and lots of patience do the trick. I got a good portion of the top done today.
    Of course, hints and tricks are welcome.

7. Word, homie! What kinda finish will you be putting on it?

8. OK here's a trick...HEAT!!

The thick poly on these things really holds together - as I'm sure you've found out. But with a heatgun and some coaxing, you can get a blade under the edge and begin rolling it off the wood. Heat an area then pry it up but without crushing the wood underneath. You should be able to remove large sections right down to bare wood with this method. It is really handy doing the inside of the horns where sanding can be tedious.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, that could stand a change. Sandpaper, care and patience.

10. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I'm gonna ship it off to Roxy and maybe go with a transparent black dye stain or whatever or maybe I'll just do blue. Whatever it is, it's gotta be transparent.

11. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Will a 3000 watt hair dryer do? :D

12. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    anyone know how to get the polyesther coating off?

13. Are you joking? :confused:

I gave you a proven method in the post above.

14. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I was joking about the hair dryer, yes. I gotta buy a heat gun and give it a shot. The polyester (not polyurethane) coating is a biyatch to get off by sanding. But, I am definitely going to try your method.
    Thanks.

15. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    About 10 years ago I took a polyester body to marine stripping place, "we'll strip anything or it's free". Guy said he'e be done in like 2 days. A week later he gave it back to me, 95% done but no charge (I remember giving him some tickets to my show at the Roxy). From there it was sandpaper and patience.

No help here, just reiterating that it's a pita.

16. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    That's pretty much what Ty at Roxy Guitar said. I can see why he charges $150.00 to strip them. It takes forever.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Be forewarned if you are intending this to be a transparent or semi-transparent refinish, the woods underneath might look like crap, might be three different pieces with mismatched grain, etc. etc.

Have a solid color choice for a backup plan!