Best way to strip a jazz body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superfly, Sep 26, 2004.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm picking up a used USA Fender jazz bass tomorrow. The color is sage metallic. I really really don't like the color, but such a good deal. I'm thinking of stripping the body and leaving it natural with maybe an oil finish. If I decide to do this,what is the best ,fastest and EASIEST way of stripping the paint off of this body?
  2. steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    have it glass beaded
    glass beading is the same concept as sandblasting, but sand would tear up the body
    i had it done to my p-bass, and it worked pretty good
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Slip it a few drinks and dare it to.
  4. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Jasco paint stripper. Paints on with a brush, then you can just peel the paint off, sand it, primer it, and you're good to repaint.

Home depot carries it.
  5. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Careful with the power tools. It's really easy to ding up the wood. I know, for I have scarred a bass that way :(. Paint stripper is a great start, assuming it disolves the type of finish on your jazz.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Paint stripper? BRUSH?

Belt sander. 20 grit paper. BAM! :D
  7. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    G, I don't think Superfly can play a pile of sawdust :p.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Then he is weak, and must be exterimated. Rawr!
  9. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I used a heat gun to strip my 2001 CAR USA jazz. Then finished in natural with a Varnish Satin fnish. Now refinishing the back of the neck with Danish Oil. Oil takes 48 hours to dry for each coat, so it's very slow proces. Varnish took 20 hours or so.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with those who said don't use power tools. I gouged a bass pretty badly with sanding discs and a drill.

Off to Setup.