1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Way to Tame a Hot DI (clipping interface)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Mar 24, 2013.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My Bass 400 has a hot DI. It sounds awesome, but even at moderate amp volumes- less than what I'd use for rehearsal- it slams both of my recording interfaces, clip city. I have to run the interfaces at 0 on their input and I still have to run my amp lower than normal and cant slap without cutting my bass volume down to like 30-50%. Without driving my tubes the way I like 'em I get a shadow of my real tone. This is cramping my style basically.

Anyone else have a similar problem? What's the best way to handle it on a budget?

I can't even record with my D180 its DI blows stuff up.

I was thinking some kind of mic pre may be able to control things.

2. Here is something to know about DI outputs- some are at a mic level and others are at a line (1volt) output level. Sounds like the DI on the Bass 400 is at a line level, there are a few solutions. Having the same issue with the output on my Zoom B2.1u here is what I have found. If your interface has a line level option try that or even use the 1/4" output into the interface. Failing that you can always use a passive DI box to go into the interface, Whirlwind and Switchcraft among many others offer a decent passive DI that is very affordable, and should be in every bass players bag of tricks anyway. I made xlr pass thru box with a transformer to step down the signal but there are several products that are affordable to consider. ART makes the Pro Split that has a nice pad that might work for you for 50 bucks, that is handy & effective. Rapco offers the CVPBLOX mic pad but I have not used that particular item.

A mic pre with an input pad would be another option there are many solid state and tube options that can be affordable, I have gotten satisfactory results using an ART Tube MP.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks, I appreciate the explanation and options. I should be able to figure something out now :cool:

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    if you have a line level DI and you are connecting it XLR>XLR into a mic/instrument input then you will certainly overload it.
    Cheapest option is XLR>1/4 TS cable and put into a line level input, and if you have an interface with balanced inputs, get XLR>1/4 TRS and you are golden.