1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best way to transport gear in the rain

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Oct 6, 2010.

1. so i was heading to a jam sesh today, and it was raining

trashbag would fit the amp, no bass case

so i just dashed to the car.

how do u get your gear from place to place in rain/snow?

2. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    as quickly as possible ...:bag:

3. yczi

yczi

Jul 1, 2010
    Boston
    CEO: Madhat®
    hahha well, living in ever changing new england, ive always found ways to adapt. i find the rain really inspires me to play, solo and with friends. so in some cases ive even gone to the point of giving up my sweatshirt in 30 january rain (yes - rain), in order to drape it over my bass case.

a solid way to protect it though is to use an old ratty blanket or towel and wrap one end as well as you can, several times over, and then stuff the other end into a trash bag and tie it off. adds that little extra cushion for when it has to ride in the back seat, and helps keep water away from my wood case in addition....because its always better to be over protective than under.....right? ...im not crazy...right? :eyebrow:

4. yea new england weather keeps u on your toes i guess. i was looking for a cover for my GK but i dont think they make one.

i read a story about how black flaglost a uhaul on the highway during a storm and they had to go down in a ditch to get their cabs which ended up being ruined.

5. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Trashbag for the amp - good idea. What kind of amp? I use padded drop covers for my cabs and always put a pair of micro heads in a waterproof Pelican case - they are great - look'em up. As for the bass? I can't imagine not having a case for any of my basses. You can get a decent gig bag style case for what - $40? Even those hardshell type cases are only $50.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musician's-Gear-Deluxe-Bass-Case?sku=540946

What kind of bass have you been dragging around without a case?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I put it in the Venza.

7. i have an explorer, nothing fits it lol

8. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    for my head, unless it's REALLY pouring outside, i just carry it through the rain. i would only worry if your amp has its vent on top (and you carry it right-side-up). water has no effect on properly applied tolex, carpet/rat fur, or bed liner/bed armor. it's only when the electronic components get wet that you may have a problem. personally, if it's raining quite a lot and i don't want to wait to load up and go home, i don't mind if my gear gets wet. i've driven my stuff home during a tropical storm in an open Jeep.
    i only really worry about water soaking my bass to the point where the wood starts to absorb some water. that's pretty tough to take care of. but my gig bag will take most of that water pretty easily, and if not i have a hard case.
    as for my cabs, i only worry about the speakers themselves. i've bed lined my main cab and my backup still has tolex on it, so i know the wood won't soak anything up. i just don't want to worry about the cones (which are paper) disintegrating.

i seem to be rambling now. the main point is that water dries. don't let any exposed/bare wood get a lot of water on it and you'll be fine. in fact, IIRC the military (not sure which branch[es]) used to clean many of their electronic boards and components with a hose and just let it all air dry.
    there i go, rambling again...

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Amp- Depends on which one I'm using. The Eden WT-400 has the Eden bag, the pre/power amp combination is in a closed rack. No problems.

Cabs- Just carry 'em quickly. The rain's never hurt even the carpet covered ones.

Bass- ALWAYS in either a gig bag or a hard case, depending on where the gig is.

John

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021